Workplace Safety Tips | Employee Rights
- Home /
- Workplace Safety Tips | Employee Rights
Workplace injuries are an unfortunate but everyday occurrence in many different industries. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) notes that more than 2.98 million recordable workplace injuries and illnesses occurred in 2011. Approximately 30% of these led to days missed from work with most workers missing an average of 8 days.
In Arizona, the private sector recorded more than 300 workplace injuries in according to the BLS and approximately 90 of those involved days away from work.
Furthermore, the Industrial Commission of Arizona notes that in 2010 there were 77 fatal workplace injuries, the majority of which were due to transportation incidents.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a workplace accident due to another individuals negligence, the victim may be entitled to compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and more.
Although workers compensation primarily works to cover injured workers in their time of need, some employers choose to not have workers compensation for fail to provide adequate benefits. Our knowledgeable attorneys can help you fight for your right to fair and just compensation.
Fill out the FREE CASE REVIEW form to your right for a no-cost, no-obligation consultation of your workers compensation claim.
Workplace Safety Precautions & Tips
Most anyone can be involved in a serious workplace accident that leads to injury, it is important for workers of all industries to adhere to safety guidelines. Most industries have certain standards their employees must follow, particularly those who work in risky fields such as construction workers and electricians.
The following are some safety tips and precautions all workers should talk to lessen their risk of enduring a workplace injury.
Avoiding Slips & Falls
- Watch for spills, if you see one that has not been marked notify someone to clean-it up, or clean it up yourself, and make sure a Slippery when wet sign is placed in the location.
- Wear nonskid shoes if you will frequently be walking on slippery surfaces.
- Do not climb on shelving units, storage shelves, or boxes. Always use a safe ladder to reach items.
- Always use a safety harness when working at high altitudes.
Tips for Lifting Properly
- Always gauge how heavy a box is before picking it up, this can be done by moving the box with your foot or crouching down to move it about.
- Nonskid shoes can prevent slipping or skidding when picking a heavy object up
- Learn to properly lift heavy items, you should be using your legs and not your back to lift
Fire & Heat Safety Tips
- Make sure your employer has a fire safety plan in place; have fire drills to ensure everyone knows what to do in case of a fire
- Flammable work chemicals should be kept in a well-ventilated room
- Make sure you, and your fellow employees, know how to use a fire extinguisher
- Most employers will require food serve workers to wear non-slip shoes; replace these shoes as needed to avoid slipping and falling.
- When using sharp knives, wear metal mesh gloves to prevent cuts
- Learn how to handle grease fires appropriately
General Safety Precautions
- Use a hard hat
- Do not approach vehicles from the blind side (forklifts, trucks, etc.)
- Wear safety gear as needed (jackets, eye protection, gloves, etc.)
- Obey all operating instructions on machinery
- Practice reasonable care when it comes to safety
The types of safety precautions a person should take often depend on their occupation. Proper training is important as is reading through an employee handbook for safety guidelines you should be following. Some employers will even provide safety courses to ensure that you are aware of the safety guidelines you should be following.
Contact our Phoenix Workers Compensation Attorneys
Despite how careful you may be, some employers and fellow employees could fail to exercise reasonable care with thus results in a serious work injury. If you or a loved one has been injured due to another individuals negligence, the victim may be entitled to compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and more.
At Phillips Law Group we are dedicated to helping those afflicted by a workplace accident fight for their right to fair and just compensation. For years we have been representing personal injury victims throughout Phoenix, Arizona and the surrounding areas, including:
and many more local towns and cities. To learn more about your legal rights and how our experienced attorneys can help you, contact us by calling 1-800-706-3000 . Our offices are available 24 hours a day, 7 days week. Remember, your initial case consultation is free and of no-obligation to you.
You may also contact us online by filling out the FREE CASE REVIEW form at the top right hand corner of this page your information will remain strictly confidential.
Two family members were in a bad wreck a couple of years ago, and as a result called Phillips Law to represent them. Montana Thompson was the attorney assigned to the case with the help of Nemo Farr as legal assistant. Mr. Thompson litigated a very generous settlement for both my stepdaughter and her son. Because my grandson is a minor, I decided to act as conservator for him to ensure the settlement was safe and secure. Montana helped with that process, but it was Nemo who went way above and beyond the call in finding a financial institution to use for the restricted account. There were some glitches in that process but Nemo helped navigate them with a calm expertise which belies his age. I would consider them both great representatives of the level of commitment to their clients and assets to their firm.
Great company and awesome service. Thanks Caroline fabos. Kudos to all.
I would like to thank Vanessa Rodriguez for helping me with my case because I was in total shock about the accident. She had listened to all my concerns and had answered every question I had . She was great !!!
My review is for Kathy Hudson a legal assistant at the law firm. She is great! She is very professional and a fair based person. She was never rude to me and always called me back. She listened to me and had my best interest as number 1. Mr Nasir who is a supervisor at law firm also was very professional and helpful. Not sure if spelling his name correctly but sorry if not. As far as mr Ross and the lady that runs the front desk reception I would say they are the most unprofessional and rude people I have met at a law firm in my life especially beings they were representing me. But Kathy made it overall a better experience. Thx Kathy.
Jasmine Delgado is an amazing paralegal. She was patient, kind and extremely knowledgeable. Highly recommend Phillips law group
Jasmine , did a great job . Highly recommend!!!!!
Thank you Phillips Law Group for all the support and back to school assistance we appreciate it.
A friend of mine recommended Phillips Law and I’m so grateful, because they were so wonderful, so down to earth, so professional. I felt like they were family.
Positive: Professionalism, Quality, Responsiveness, Value As someone who is familiar with the inner workings of the auto insurance industry I can whole heartedly endorse Steven J. Jones and Phillips law group as someone I would want on my side should litigation take place. They handled my case professionally, honestly, and with satisfactory results which I would not have expected without enlisting their help.
Phillips law group is a great firm! Caroline is great.