Unsafe Lane Changes Accident Lawyer
Helping Clients Nationwide
Over $1 Billion Won for Our Clients
Decades of Experience Winning
Drivers may change lanes to pass another motorist or in preparation to turn or exit the highway. While lane changes are necessary, they should always be completed with safety in mind. Unsafe lane changes are the cause of thousands of car accidents and injuries every year.
If you or a loved one has been harmed in a lane change accident, the car accident lawyers at Phillips Legal Group can help you file a personal injury claim for your injuries and losses. We can handle every aspect of your case while you focus on healing or caring for your injured family member.
Contact us today for a free consultation to review your case. There are no upfront costs or attorneys fees charged unless we recover compensation for you. Call us, start a live chat on this page, or complete the evaluation form to get started today.
Causes of Unsafe Lane Change Accidents
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) defines lane change accidents as collisions that occur when one vehicle veers into the lane of another vehicle traveling in the same parallel direction.
Traffic laws prohibit drivers from making unsafe lane changes in a variety of situations. Motorists who fail to obey these traffic laws put the safety of themselves and others at risk. They may be held legally liable if their actions cause injuries or property damage to another person.
Common causes of lane change accidents include:
- Failing to signal
- Failing to yield the right-of-way
- Changing lanes where the road lines are solid
- Driving while distracted
- Drifting into the adjacent lane
- Cutting a driver off when changing lanes
- Driving between lanes for an extended period of time (lane splitting)
- Failing to check mirrors and blind spots
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Weaving back and forth through traffic
Injuries Resulting From Unsafe Lane Changes
Sideswipe collisions are the most common type of accident caused by unsafe lane changes. These types of accidents are especially dangerous when vehicles travel at high speeds. In some situations, multiple vehicles may be involved in a lane change accident.
Injuries that may occur in unsafe lane change accidents include:
- Broken bones and fractures
- Cuts and lacerations
- Head injuries
- Back and neck injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
Tragically, some unsafe lane change collisions are so severe that they result in the loss of life. According to the Insurance Information Institute, failure to stay in the proper lane is the fourth-leading cause of fatal car and motorcycle accidents.
Establishing Liability After a Lane Change Accident
Typically, the driver who caused the car accident is the party held financially liable for resulting injuries and other losses. However, if you say that a motorist made an unsafe lane change, he or she may claim otherwise. If the other driver does deny fault, your lane change accident lawyer will need to provide evidence proving negligence.
In order to prove that the other driver caused the car accident, your personal injury lawyer may:
- Visit the scene of the accident
- Speak to eyewitnesses
- Hire accident reconstructionists and other experts
- Review the police report
- Obtain copies of medical records
- Access photos and surveillance videos from the accident
The compassionate and knowledgeable attorneys at Phillips Legal Group have handled thousands of car accident claims and collected $750 million total for clients. Our legal team knows what evidence is needed to build a solid case for our clients.
We’re Here to Listen
Fill out the form and we’ll contact you back to go over what happened and evaluate your case for free.
Your message has been sent
Thank you for your message, we will get back to you soon.
I didn’t know anything about the area, and Phillips Law Group just took care of everything. They helped made sure I knew where I was going, made sure I didn’t have to worry. They literally just took care of me.
No Fee Until We Win For You
We get to work,
you get updates
More Information on Unsafe Lane Change Accidents
What Are Expert Witnesses and How Can They Help Your Case?
If you were seriously injured in an unsafe lane change accident and are filing a personal injury lawsuit, your lawyer may hire an expert witness to support your case. An expert witness is a person with the education, background, and experience to be considered a specialist in a specific field.
The following are some experts commonly consulted in car accident cases:
- Vehicle accident reconstructionists: These experts provide testimony relating to collision analysis, accident reconstruction, injury reconstruction, and crashworthiness. They may also provide input relating to braking, acceleration, steering angles, and other car accident issues.
- Phone records specialist: Many car accidents are caused by drivers talking on the phone or texting and driving. A cell phone records specialist can present data proving the defendant was on the phone at the time the lane change accident occurred.
- Medical experts: Neurologists, orthopedists, pain management experts, and other medical experts may be asked to offer testimony about the degree of a victim’s injuries and future medical needs.
- Lifecare planners: These types of experts can explain how a victim’s injuries have impacted his or her ability to work and earn a living.
- Transportation safety expert: In addition to seatbelts, most newer vehicles include safety features such as airbags and collision avoidance systems. An expert in this field can offer testimony as to whether these safety features were properly maintained and operated correctly.
Phillips Legal Group has a working relationship with a number of experts who are proven at presenting their findings before a judge or jury. Our lane change accident attorneys will hire expert witnesses if their testimony may secure clients a larger award in a just and fair settlement.
Have a question about a potential a case?
Types of Compensation After an Unsafe Lane Change Accident
Lane change car accidents can create a serious financial burden, especially if you are required to take time off of work to recover from your injuries. The car accident lawyers at our law firm are committed to helping our clients receive the resources they need to recover physically and financially. If you were harmed in a motor vehicle collision caused by another driver, you may be eligible for several types of damages.
The following are some of the types of damages your lawyer could help you recover compensation for:
- Medical expenses: This is compensation for medical-related expenses including ambulance rides, hospital stays, surgeries, doctor’s visits, medications, and more. If your injuries require the need for ongoing medical treatment, your lawyer can request money for future medical needs and any home or vehicle modifications needed.
- Lost income: These types of damages are awarded to compensate for the time a person was unable to work while recuperating. If a victim is unable to work for an extended period of time, this could include payment for loss of future wages or earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering: This is a legal term used to describe compensation for the physical and emotional trauma a person has suffered as a result of an accident. The amount awarded usually depends on the extent of a person’s injuries, the trauma he or she has suffered, and how life has been affected by the accident.
- Wrongful death: These damages are intended to compensate for the economic losses a victim’s family suffers as a result of the death of a loved one. This could include compensation for accident-related medical expenses, funeral and burial costs, loss of support, and more.
Have a question about a potential a case?
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Lane Change Accident Lawyer Today
If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a car accident due to an unsafe lane change, you should not have to suffer the financial, physical, and emotional burden on your own. Our compassionate car accident lawyers can investigate your case, determine liability, and help you recover the compensation you need to get your life back on track.
Our law firm has been representing victims of car accidents in Arizona for almost 30 years. We have helped our clients recover millions of dollars in damages, and we want to do the same for you. Best of all, there are no attorneys fees unless we recover compensation for you.
The knowledgeable lane change accident lawyers at Phillips Legal Group have the experience and resources needed to handle your claim. Schedule a free case review to learn more about your legal rights and options.
Have a question about a potential a case?