When Should I Contact a Lawyer After Sustaining a Brain Injury?
- Home / Traumatic Brain Injury /
- When Should I Contact a Lawyer After Sustaining a Brain Injury?
As science and medicine advance, we are beginning to better understand the lasting effects of even a seemingly minor brain injury. Sadly, a traumatic brain injury (TBI) can result in hospitalizations, long-term disabilities, or even death.
If you or a loved one suffered a TBI in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence, do not hesitate to contact the law firm of Phillips Law Group today. We understand the devastating toll a brain injury can have on victims and their families. Our compassionate traumatic brain injury attorneys are committed to ensuring our clients get the medical care and financial compensation they need and deserve after being injured.
At Phillips Law Group, we have experience handling traumatic brain injury cases. Our lawyers are familiar with doctors and hospitals throughout Arizona. After taking on a TBI case, we work hard to thoroughly understand the implications of the brain injuries our clients have sustained.
Schedule a free, no-obligation case review today. Call us 24/7 at 1-800-706-3000 or complete the free case evaluation form.
Causes of Traumatic Brain Injuries
A traumatic brain injury can occur when a person receives a blow to the head. TBIs vary in severity, with some healing in a few weeks and others resulting in life-altering injuries. Sadly, some brain injuries result in fatalities. There are about 176 TBI-related deaths every day in the United States.
The following are some common causes of traumatic brain injuries:
- Accidents where the victim is hit in the head by an object
- Sports injuries
- Car, truck, and motorcycle accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Pedestrian accidents
- Nursing home abuse
- Defective products
- Animal attacks
Types of Traumatic Brain Injuries
Traumatic brain injuries can vary vastly in symptoms and severity. There are two categories of brain injuries: closed injuries and penetrating injuries. Closed injuries do not fracture the skull. Open injuries occur when the skull bone is cracked or punctured.
Some TBIs only affect one specific part of the brain, while others cause damage to multiple parts of the brain.
The following are some common types of traumatic brain injuries:
- Concussions: These are the most common type of traumatic brain injury, accounting for many emergency room visits every year. Concussions occur when the brain is jolted back and forth within the skull. Symptoms may last only a couple of days or many months if the damage is severe.
- Contusions: A contusion is a bruise on the brain, which means that there is a mild brain bleed. If a contusion does not heal on its own, it can progress into a hematoma and require surgery to repair.
- Brain hemorrhage: A brain hemorrhage is a type of stroke caused by an artery in the brain bursting and bleeding. This results in swelling and damage to the surrounding tissue. If not treated promptly, hemorrhage can be disabling or life-threatening.
- Diffuse axonal injury: These are one of the most severe types of TBIs and occur when the brain is shaken or twisted inside the skull. As the brain is shifted, nerve fibers are damaged and torn. The severity of the symptoms depends on how large the tears are and where they are located.
- Penetrating brain injury: This type of injury occurs when an object, such as a bullet, penetrates the skull and brain. Seizures are a common side effect of penetrating brain injuries. Surgery will likely be required to correct the damage, but there may be irreparable harm inflicted in some situations.
How Soon Should I Contact a Lawyer After Sustaining a Traumatic Brain Injury?
Your top priority following an accident should be seeking medical attention. If you suspect that you are suffering from a concussion or other brain injury, it is essential that you get examined by your general care physician or an emergency room doctor immediately. In many cases, the longer a brain injury is left untreated, the greater the risk of permanent injury.
After receiving the needed medical treatment, it is important to contact a traumatic brain injury lawyer as soon as possible. An experienced brain injury lawyer can fight for your right to quality medical care and help secure financial security for you and your family.
Cases involving traumatic brain injuries often take longer to settle than other types of personal injury lawsuits. The sooner you contact a lawyer after the accident, the faster he or she can file a claim and begin building a solid case on your behalf.
Strong evidence is often needed to prove fault and liability in brain injury cases. However, video footage and other physical evidence are often lost or destroyed with time. The sooner that you hire the lawyer, the more quickly he or she can gather evidence for your traumatic brain injury case.
If you have suffered a traumatic brain injury, do not wait to contact the experienced personal injury attorneys at Phillips Law Group. Our legal team can start working on your case before you have even been released from the hospital.
Signs You Should Consult With a Brain Injury Lawyer
It is especially important to preserve your right to compensation in brain injury cases since a TBI can affect every aspect of your life. After being injured in an accident, you and your family may be wondering whether you should file a claim on your own or hire a traumatic brain injury lawyer.
Consider the following signs that you should seek legal guidance from a brain injury attorney:
- Your injuries are severe: If your TBI caused severe injuries, you will want to have a lawyer on your side advocating for you. This is especially true if your injuries are life-altering and you require ongoing medical treatment. The greater the severity of your injuries, the more money you should receive in compensation.
- The insurance company is not being fair: After your accident, insurers may offer you a fast and low settlement or deny your claim altogether. Personal injury attorneys are familiar with the tactics that insurance companies use to avoid paying full compensation for a claim. They can negotiate a fair settlement or take your case to court if needed.
- You are unsure who is liable for the accident: It is not always obvious who is at fault for an accident. Also, a person suffering from a TBI may not be able to remember details about the accident. A traumatic brain injury lawyer can investigate your accident and identify all liable parties.
Contact a Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer Today
If you or a loved one are suffering from a brain injury, you have enough to worry about without the added stress of handling a lawsuit yourself. Work with Phillips & Associates instead. We can handle your traumatic brain injury claim so that you can focus on what is most important–your recovery.
Our attorneys have over 26 years of experience handling complex brain injury cases. Over the years, we have helped our clients recover over $1 billion in damages, and we want to do the same for you.
Let our brain injury attorneys offer you support and legal advice during this difficult time. The sooner you contact our law firm after your accident, the sooner we can recover financial compensation for you and your family.
Contact Phillips Law Group to schedule a free, no-obligation case review. When we take on your case, our experienced and compassionate traumatic brain injury lawyers will fight to maximize your awarded settlement.
Free Case Evaluation
Your message has been sent
Thank you for your message, we will get back to you soon.
Phillips is the best!! Love all that they do to give back to the community and how much they help those who are experiencing homelessness. ❤️
I would have no hesitation at all recommending Phillips Law Group. In particular, Juan Roque has impressed me with his professionalism, his integrity and his heart for the community!
Although my accident was fortunately not a major one, The Phillips Law Group AZ treated it as such. Their staff, specifically Mr Juan Roque was very professional, courteous and most importantly very informative. Mr Roque's attentive service was phenomenal and I highly recommend this firm!
I just wanted to thank Phillips law Group and Vanessa Rodriguez for all the help that she did for my daughter’s case. She was involved in her first accident and she needed the help to deal with these adjusters. Thank you again.
Great experience! Took care of pretty much everything, and I always felt like I want in good hands. Caroline Fa. was also a great help with everything. She always returned my calls and I never felt unheard. Even after my case she would still help me with my insurance documents.
I want to thank attorneys Tim and Robert and the paralegal Bethany for all they had done on my case. They were all empathetic, knowledgeable and professional. All my questions were answered, emails returned in a timely matter, and promises fulfilled. I recommend Phillips Law Group if you need help with your injury case.
My Attorney Sean Davis and his paralegal Hannah Dustin worked on my case. They listened to the problems that I was having with my case and they both got right to work. First they found me a doctor that actually listened to my problems from my car accident and worked quickly to form a plan that was comfortable for me and the doctor. The doctor was the best and after a couple of procedures the pain in my neck was gone. Behind the scenes Sean and Hannah were working hard to get my case settled with the insurance company. They kept in contact with me on all aspects of my case. They settled my case much faster than I expected and for more than I was expecting. If you want two real professional legal people to work on your case, I would highly recommend Sean and Hannah to you. I cannot say enough nice things about these two. Thank you so much, Rickey Hart .
Phillips law group is a great firm! Caroline is great.
Liz was great
Thank you Phillips Law Group for all the support and back to school assistance we appreciate it.