Steps To Take After A Car Accident
According to The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, there were over 9 million motor vehicle accidents in 2009. No matter how many driving precautions you may take, some motor vehicle accidents are unavoidable. Car accidents in Arizona can be very stressful. Knowing what steps to take after an accident can help to ease the process.
After an Accident
Many people are unsure about what to do after an auto accident. However, it is important to try to remain calm and follow these steps:
- Check to see if you or the passengers in your car have been injured.
- Call 911 to get first responders to the scene faster.
- If it is possible, move your vehicle to a safe place.
- Inspect your vehicle to make sure you do not smell gas or oil. If you do, stay as far away from the vehicle as possible.
- Turn on your vehicle's hazard lights, and use cones or flares for safety.
- Call the police - even if the accident is minor.
- Exchange information with the other parties involved (insurance information, license plate and drivers license numbers, and passengers' information).
- Record information about the accident (weather conditions, driving speeds).
- Take photos with your cellphone of the all the vehicles involved in the accident and the accident scene.
- Limit your talk about the accident, only discuss it with the police, your insurance company and family members.
- Do not admit fault- even if you think the accident was your fault.
- Ask the police officer that is on the scene where you can get a copy of the accident report.
- Call your insurance company immediately.
- Make an appointment with a doctor, whether or not you believe you have suffered an injury. Sometimes injuries do not become apparent until one or more days after the accident.
Contact an Arizona Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one has been involved in an Arizona motor vehicle accident, you may have legal options. Contact the accident attorneys at Phillips Law Group to learn more in a free, no-obligation consultation.
Phillips Law Group has the experience and resources to handle all types of motor vehicle accidents.