Yuma Civil Rights Lawyer | Phillips Law Group
Everyone in the U.S. is granted various civil rights and laws that are in place to prevent various forms of discrimination (sex, race, religion, marital status, nationality).
If your civil rights were infringed, or someone you know suffered discrimination, excessive force by police, or another civil rights violation, there may be grounds for a civil rights damages claim.
Phillips Law Group has been advocating for victims’ rights for nearly three decades. Our team has represented 155,000 consumer clients while recovering fair compensation. We were able to recover $350,000 for the family of a person shot by the police.
Contact our Yuma civil rights lawyers today for a free case evaluation and learn more about your possible options.
How Can a Civil Rights Attorney Help?
Proving a civil rights violation is complicated and requires a thorough investigation and understanding of relevant laws. This is why discussing the situation with an experienced attorney can be invaluable.
Our Yuma civil rights lawyers have the resources and time to investigate these kinds of claims. We can also research relevant laws and determine how they may apply to your situation.
The first thing we can do when you meet with us is determine the merits of your claim. If you have a case, we can get started if you decide to hire us. There is no upfront fee for our services.
Examples of Civil Rights Violations
There has been a lot of media attention onthe use of excessive and deadly force by law enforcement officials. Other examples of civil rights violations that may give rise to damages claims include:
- Physical assault
- Racial profiling
- Unlawful arrest
- Employment termination because of age
- Employment discrimination
- Housing discrimination
- Verbal and/or written threats
If you were a victim of these or any other civil rights violations, feel free to contact Phillips Law Group today. We can be contacted anytime day or night.
Call 1-800-706-3000 with your legal questions.
Types of Civil Rights Damages Claims
Civil rights damages claims are filed for various reasons. Some of the more common include:
- Law Enforcement Misconduct”“ These are difficult cases because law enforcement officials are commonly immune from lawsuits. However, when there are false arrests, malicious prosecution or treatment with excessive force, there may be a viable case.
- Domestic Abuse ”“ These types of lawsuits are usually filed only after the victim is safe from any further harm. Restraining orders usually precede the filing of a lawsuit.
- Housing Discrimination ”“ These are cases involving discrimination by property owners on the basis of race, religion, age or marital status.
- Employment Discrimination”“ This refers to when an employer denies someone a job due to gender, race, religion, age, and/or sexual orientation.
- Government Discrimination”“ This is similar to employment discrimination, but the employer is a government entity.
- Property Disputes ”“ For example, if a property owner disagrees with a neighbor about where their property line begins or ends, they may have to let their local government get involved to determine the correct property lines.
- Contract Disputes ”“ When two or more parties share a written agreement, and one or more parties no longer agrees to follow the terms of the agreement, a claim may be filed for damages.
As these cases can be quite complicated, it is important to have a licensed attorney at your side every step of the way.
What Steps Should I Take?
If you feel that your civil rights have been violated, there are several steps you can take to try to handle the situation:
- Informal negotiations ”“ This is when all parties decide to have a conversation about the incident and try to hash out their differences without having to deal with a lawsuit.
- Mediation ”“ If negotiations did not work, a professional mediator may be hired to work with all parties involved, in an effort to find a resolution to the issue. Keep in mind that the mediator does not have the authority to force either party to accept a resolution.
- Arbitration ”“ Similar to a mediator, an arbitrator acts as a neutral, third party, however, the difference is, they can actually decide on a legally binding arbitration award, which is enforceable in court.
- Filing a lawsuit ”“ When no other resolution can be agreed on, a lawsuit may be filed. The dispute is formally filed with a state court, however, the claim may need to be filed in another court if the claim exceeds state limitations.
Our Yuma civil rights lawyers know how to defend your best interests throughout the legal process.
Do You Lose Your Civil Rights in Prison?
Although prisoners do lose some rights while in prison, such as the right to privacy and the right to be protected from warrantless searches, they still maintain their civil rights under the U.S. Constitution.
Contact a Yuma Civil Rights Attorney for a Free Consultation
When civil rights are abused or violated, victims may be able to pursue a claim for damages against those responsible. Contacting an attorney is an important step to take when considering legal options
Phillips Law Group has been helping people fight for their rights for over 25 years. We are prepared to determine if you have a case and manage every step of the legal process.
Your consultation with our attorneys is entirely free of charge.
You can reach us today by calling 1-800-706-3000 .
Definitely recommend! Awesome
Juan Roque has been integral with my legal needs. Communication has been easy. He conveys information I can easily understand without a lot of "Legal Fluff" jargon. I will certainly do business with Phillips Legal team again and refer them to my friends and family.
Thank you Phillips Law Group for all the support and back to school assistance we appreciate it.
Two family members were in a bad wreck a couple of years ago, and as a result called Phillips Law to represent them. Montana Thompson was the attorney assigned to the case with the help of Nemo Farr as legal assistant. Mr. Thompson litigated a very generous settlement for both my stepdaughter and her son. Because my grandson is a minor, I decided to act as conservator for him to ensure the settlement was safe and secure. Montana helped with that process, but it was Nemo who went way above and beyond the call in finding a financial institution to use for the restricted account. There were some glitches in that process but Nemo helped navigate them with a calm expertise which belies his age. I would consider them both great representatives of the level of commitment to their clients and assets to their firm.
I would like to thank Vanessa Rodriguez for helping me with my case because I was in total shock about the accident. She had listened to all my concerns and had answered every question I had . She was great !!!
I want to thank attorneys Tim and Robert and the paralegal Bethany for all they had done on my case. They were all empathetic, knowledgeable and professional. All my questions were answered, emails returned in a timely matter, and promises fulfilled. I recommend Phillips Law Group if you need help with your injury case.
Jasmine Delgado is an amazing paralegal. She was patient, kind and extremely knowledgeable. Highly recommend Phillips law group
My Attorney Sean Davis and his paralegal Hannah Dustin worked on my case. They listened to the problems that I was having with my case and they both got right to work. First they found me a doctor that actually listened to my problems from my car accident and worked quickly to form a plan that was comfortable for me and the doctor. The doctor was the best and after a couple of procedures the pain in my neck was gone. Behind the scenes Sean and Hannah were working hard to get my case settled with the insurance company. They kept in contact with me on all aspects of my case. They settled my case much faster than I expected and for more than I was expecting. If you want two real professional legal people to work on your case, I would highly recommend Sean and Hannah to you. I cannot say enough nice things about these two. Thank you so much, Rickey Hart .
Sophia H. at Phillips Law Group has been an absolute joy to work with -quick, responsive, and professional in every interaction. Her breadth of knowledge, from administration to IT to finance, is nothing short of impressive.