Tucson Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer | Phillips Law Group
Nursing home staff members have a legal duty to treat residents with dignity and respect and not abuse or neglect them. When this duty is breached, serious and potentially life-threatening injuries can occur.
If your elderly loved one suffered abuse or neglect, contacting an attorney is an important step to take as you consider what to do next.
At Phillips Law Group, we are dedicated to giving a legal voice to those injured because of another’s negligence. For over 27 years, we have helped over 155,000 clients obtain more than $750,000,000 in compensation. Attorney Timothy Tonkin has over 20 years of experience representing nursing home abuse victims and is a member of the State Bar of Arizona.
You can discuss your loved one’s situation with a licensed Tucson nursing home abuse attorney from our firm in a 100 percent free, no obligation consultation. There is no risk to you in learning about your potential legal options. We do not charge for our services because we work on a contingency fee basis – we only get paid if we help you and your family recover compensation.
Call us today to set up your free consultation: 1-800-706-3000 .
The Rights of Nursing Home Residents in Arizona
The elderly, particularly those residing in nursing homes, are some of the most vulnerable people in our society. That is why they are protected by state and federal laws (1987 Nursing Home Reform Act) that provide for numerous rights.
Arizona’s Office of Long Term Care Licensure lists numerous rights for nursing home residents before they are admitted and while staying at these facilities. For example, residents have the right to:
- Be treated with respect and dignity
- Live in a safe environment and be free from abuse, neglect, seclusion, coercion, manipulation or exploitation
- Live free from verbal, physical, sexual or mental abuse
- Apply for Medicaid or Medicare and receive information and assistance in doing so
- Receive quality care and fair treatment that is free from discrimination
- Refuse medical treatment
- Review medical records and be an active participant in their medical treatment
- Refuse restraints if they limit mobility
- Reasonable security for personal property
- Keep personal and health records confidential
- Choose and participate in activities they like
- Participate in community, social and religious activities
- A clean, safe and comfortable environment
- Manage their own financial affairs
If you believe your loved one’s rights have been violated, you can call Phillips Law Group anytime to schedule a free consultation with a licensed attorney.
You may be able to take legal action on your loved one’s behalf to pursue damages. Phone: 1-800-706-3000
Who Can Be Held Accountable for Nursing Home Abuse?
Some of the parties who could be at fault for nursing home abuse include:
- Staff at the facility ”“ This includes doctors, nurses, nursing assistants, nutritionists and dieticians, among many others.
- The nursing home facility owner ”“ This may be one entity or a company that owns multiple facilities.
- Third parties ”“ Third parties may include medical suppliers and other contractors who frequent the facility, along with people visiting loved ones.
There are many reasons why these parties/individuals could be held responsible for nursing home abuse or neglect:
- Understaffing, resulting in residents being ignored and not receiving the attention they need
- Lack of experience or proper training, which could be due to negligence during the hiring process
- Lack of proper security
- Inadequate monitoring of staff members
- Failure to provide essentials, like food, water, shelter, medical care or help with basic hygiene
Do I Have a Case for Nursing Home Abuse?
Proving nursing home abuse may be a difficult task. You must establish your loved one’s injuries were a direct result of negligence. That means the at-fault party had a duty of care to your loved, failed to uphold that duty, and your loved one was injured because of this breach of duty.
The Tucson nursing home abuse attorneys at Phillips Law Group manage the entire legal process on behalf of their clients. We know how to build a robust argument for a nursing home abuse case. This involves a detailed investigation into the facility, including records of past instances of abuse by staff members. We are also prepared to carefully review medical records to determine the full extent of a victim’s injuries and the value of damages.
You can discuss your situation during a free consultation. Each case is unique, so we need to review the details to determine if you may have legal options.
Our legal staff is ready to take your call to schedule your free consultation. 1-800-706-3000
Types of Damages That May be Available in a Nursing Home Abuse Claim
If our firm determines you have a valid case, and you hire us to represent you, we are ready to pursue the full cost of the damages your loved one may have suffered.
These are the monetary losses your loved one experienced as a result of the abuse. This may include:
- Medical expenses
- Medical equipment to assist with mobility
- Emergency care costs
- Physical therapy
This refers to the emotional damage your loved one experienced. Examples include pain and suffering, emotional distress and anxiety, among other types of damages.
In a case where a staff member intentionally caused harm, your Tucson nursing home abuse attorney may be able to pursue punitive damages. These are meant to punish the at-fault party for his or her malicious behavior and to deter others from engaging in the same type of activity.
Our firm is here to help. Learn more by calling to set up a meeting with an attorney. 1-800-706-3000
Common Types of Nursing Home Abuse and Signs to Look Out For
Below, review the main types of nursing home abuse and signs that your loved one may be affected:
- Physical abuse ”“ If your loved one has frequent unexplained bruises, broken bones or burn marks, these could all be signs of physical abuse.
- Neglect ”“ Victims are often malnourished and dehydrated, which could result in dry skin, repeated infections and weight loss. Other signs could include poor hygiene, dirty clothing, or messy, unclean living conditions.
- Psychological abuse ”“ This is often a type of verbal abuse that could include harassment, threats, intimidation, name-calling or other verbally abusive actions. Signs to watch for include depression, lack of appetite or social withdrawal.
- Sexual abuse ”“ If your loved one has a sexually transmitted disease, torn underwear, or bruises around genitals or breast area, this could be a sign that he or she is being sexually abused.
- Financial abuse ”“ Loved ones often learn about this when they see unexplained withdrawals or purchases that do not make sense.
Victims of any form or nursing home abuse or neglect may have legal options. The Tucson nursing home abuse lawyers at Phillips Law Group are ready to pursue compensation for victims.
How to Report Nursing Home Abuse
It is very important to report abuse or neglect as soon as possible. This helps to put a stop to the abuse and creates an official record of what occurred. This is very helpful in validating a nursing home abuse claim.
In an emergency, loved ones should call 9-1-1. In addition to civil liability, some abusers may be held criminally liable.
Besides law enforcement, there a few other entities you may be able to report abuse to, such as adult protective services, Arizona’s attorney general, Arizona’s Department of Health Services or the long-term care ombudsman.
Call a Tucson Nursing Home Abuse Attorney for a Free Consultation
If you suspect that your loved one is being mistreated in his or her nursing home facility, you can contact Phillips Law Group for a free consultation to find out how we may be able to help.
There are no legal fees or upfront costs to worry about. This is because we work on a contingency fee basis and do not get paid unless we help you obtain a fair settlement.
Great company and awesome service. Thanks Caroline fabos. Kudos to all.
PLG is the best! Highly recommend. Love that they do so much to help the community.
Great experience! Took care of pretty much everything, and I always felt like I want in good hands. Caroline Fa. was also a great help with everything. She always returned my calls and I never felt unheard. Even after my case she would still help me with my insurance documents.
My Attorney Sean Davis and his paralegal Hannah Dustin worked on my case. They listened to the problems that I was having with my case and they both got right to work. First they found me a doctor that actually listened to my problems from my car accident and worked quickly to form a plan that was comfortable for me and the doctor. The doctor was the best and after a couple of procedures the pain in my neck was gone. Behind the scenes Sean and Hannah were working hard to get my case settled with the insurance company. They kept in contact with me on all aspects of my case. They settled my case much faster than I expected and for more than I was expecting. If you want two real professional legal people to work on your case, I would highly recommend Sean and Hannah to you. I cannot say enough nice things about these two. Thank you so much, Rickey Hart .
Phillips law group has an amazing staff and i recommend them to everyone.
Jasmine Delgado is an amazing paralegal. She was patient, kind and extremely knowledgeable. Highly recommend Phillips law group
My review is for Kathy Hudson a legal assistant at the law firm. She is great! She is very professional and a fair based person. She was never rude to me and always called me back. She listened to me and had my best interest as number 1. Mr Nasir who is a supervisor at law firm also was very professional and helpful. Not sure if spelling his name correctly but sorry if not. As far as mr Ross and the lady that runs the front desk reception I would say they are the most unprofessional and rude people I have met at a law firm in my life especially beings they were representing me. But Kathy made it overall a better experience. Thx Kathy.
I didn’t know anything about the area, and Phillips Law Group just took care of everything. They helped made sure I knew where I was going, made sure I didn’t have to worry. They literally just took care of me.
They knew exactly how to explain the case to me in a way that I would understand it. They gave me hope that my life wasn’t over.
Thank you Phillips Law Group for all the support and back to school assistance we appreciate it.