Tucson Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer | Phillips Law Group
Nursing home staff members have a legal duty to treat residents with dignity and respect and not abuse or neglect them. When this duty is breached, serious and potentially life-threatening injuries can occur.
If your elderly loved one suffered abuse or neglect, contacting an attorney is an important step to take as you consider what to do next.
At Phillips Law Group, we are dedicated to giving a legal voice to those injured because of another’s negligence. For over 27 years, we have helped over 155,000 clients obtain more than $1 billion in compensation. Attorney Timothy Tonkin has over 20 years of experience representing nursing home abuse victims and is a member of the State Bar of Arizona.
You can discuss your loved one’s situation with a licensed Tucson nursing home abuse attorney from our firm in a 100 percent free, no obligation consultation. There is no risk to you in learning about your potential legal options. We do not charge for our services because we work on a contingency fee basis – we only get paid if we help you and your family recover compensation.
Call us today to set up your free consultation: 1-800-706-3000 .
The Rights of Nursing Home Residents in Arizona
The elderly, particularly those residing in nursing homes, are some of the most vulnerable people in our society. That is why they are protected by state and federal laws (1987 Nursing Home Reform Act) that provide for numerous rights.
Arizona’s Office of Long Term Care Licensure lists numerous rights for nursing home residents before they are admitted and while staying at these facilities. For example, residents have the right to:
- Be treated with respect and dignity
- Live in a safe environment and be free from abuse, neglect, seclusion, coercion, manipulation or exploitation
- Live free from verbal, physical, sexual or mental abuse
- Apply for Medicaid or Medicare and receive information and assistance in doing so
- Receive quality care and fair treatment that is free from discrimination
- Refuse medical treatment
- Review medical records and be an active participant in their medical treatment
- Refuse restraints if they limit mobility
- Reasonable security for personal property
- Keep personal and health records confidential
- Choose and participate in activities they like
- Participate in community, social and religious activities
- A clean, safe and comfortable environment
- Manage their own financial affairs
If you believe your loved one’s rights have been violated, you can call Phillips Law Group anytime to schedule a free consultation with a licensed attorney.
You may be able to take legal action on your loved one’s behalf to pursue damages. Phone: 1-800-706-3000
Who Can Be Held Accountable for Nursing Home Abuse?
Some of the parties who could be at fault for nursing home abuse include:
- Staff at the facility ”“ This includes doctors, nurses, nursing assistants, nutritionists and dieticians, among many others.
- The nursing home facility owner ”“ This may be one entity or a company that owns multiple facilities.
- Third parties ”“ Third parties may include medical suppliers and other contractors who frequent the facility, along with people visiting loved ones.
There are many reasons why these parties/individuals could be held responsible for nursing home abuse or neglect:
- Understaffing, resulting in residents being ignored and not receiving the attention they need
- Lack of experience or proper training, which could be due to negligence during the hiring process
- Lack of proper security
- Inadequate monitoring of staff members
- Failure to provide essentials, like food, water, shelter, medical care or help with basic hygiene
Do I Have a Case for Nursing Home Abuse?
Proving nursing home abuse may be a difficult task. You must establish your loved one’s injuries were a direct result of negligence. That means the at-fault party had a duty of care to your loved, failed to uphold that duty, and your loved one was injured because of this breach of duty.
The Tucson nursing home abuse attorneys at Phillips Law Group manage the entire legal process on behalf of their clients. We know how to build a robust argument for a nursing home abuse case. This involves a detailed investigation into the facility, including records of past instances of abuse by staff members. We are also prepared to carefully review medical records to determine the full extent of a victim’s injuries and the value of damages.
You can discuss your situation during a free consultation. Each case is unique, so we need to review the details to determine if you may have legal options.
Our legal staff is ready to take your call to schedule your free consultation. 1-800-706-3000
Types of Damages That May be Available in a Nursing Home Abuse Claim
If our firm determines you have a valid case, and you hire us to represent you, we are ready to pursue the full cost of the damages your loved one may have suffered.
These are the monetary losses your loved one experienced as a result of the abuse. This may include:
- Medical expenses
- Medical equipment to assist with mobility
- Emergency care costs
- Physical therapy
This refers to the emotional damage your loved one experienced. Examples include pain and suffering, emotional distress and anxiety, among other types of damages.
In a case where a staff member intentionally caused harm, your Tucson nursing home abuse attorney may be able to pursue punitive damages. These are meant to punish the at-fault party for his or her malicious behavior and to deter others from engaging in the same type of activity.
Our firm is here to help. Learn more by calling to set up a meeting with an attorney. 1-800-706-3000
Common Types of Nursing Home Abuse and Signs to Look Out For
Below, review the main types of nursing home abuse and signs that your loved one may be affected:
- Physical abuse ”“ If your loved one has frequent unexplained bruises, broken bones or burn marks, these could all be signs of physical abuse.
- Neglect ”“ Victims are often malnourished and dehydrated, which could result in dry skin, repeated infections and weight loss. Other signs could include poor hygiene, dirty clothing, or messy, unclean living conditions.
- Psychological abuse ”“ This is often a type of verbal abuse that could include harassment, threats, intimidation, name-calling or other verbally abusive actions. Signs to watch for include depression, lack of appetite or social withdrawal.
- Sexual abuse ”“ If your loved one has a sexually transmitted disease, torn underwear, or bruises around genitals or breast area, this could be a sign that he or she is being sexually abused.
- Financial abuse ”“ Loved ones often learn about this when they see unexplained withdrawals or purchases that do not make sense.
Victims of any form or nursing home abuse or neglect may have legal options. The Tucson nursing home abuse lawyers at Phillips Law Group are ready to pursue compensation for victims.
How to Report Nursing Home Abuse
It is very important to report abuse or neglect as soon as possible. This helps to put a stop to the abuse and creates an official record of what occurred. This is very helpful in validating a nursing home abuse claim.
In an emergency, loved ones should call 9-1-1. In addition to civil liability, some abusers may be held criminally liable.
Besides law enforcement, there a few other entities you may be able to report abuse to, such as adult protective services, Arizona’s attorney general, Arizona’s Department of Health Services or the long-term care ombudsman.
Call a Tucson Nursing Home Abuse Attorney for a Free Consultation
If you suspect that your loved one is being mistreated in his or her nursing home facility, you can contact Phillips Law Group for a free consultation to find out how we may be able to help.
There are no legal fees or upfront costs to worry about. This is because we work on a contingency fee basis and do not get paid unless we help you obtain a fair settlement.
Free Case Evaluation
Your message has been sent
Thank you for your message, we will get back to you soon.
Jasmine helped me so so much I want to thank her ! And also Aaron , i was always scared after an accident , knowing I would have to deal with lawyers but not here . Luckily I’ve only been in 3 accidents but this time it was fast and easy . And i received all the treatments I needed to help me recover ! Thank you Jasmine and Aaron!
I’ve been working at Phillips Law Group for nearly four years and I can confidently say this is the best personal injury firm in Arizona to work for. The firm is the best for numerous reasons but to start, Phillips Law Group gives employees opportunities for promotions and growth. I started working within the settlement department, moved to a paralegal assistant and grew to be a pre-litigation paralegal with my own case load. Each attorney I have worked for is extremely knowledgeable, friendly, and easy to talk to. Secondly, I love how Phillips Law shows appreciation for employees. They host Friday Zoom Huddles giving out PTO, goodie bags, special shout outs, bonuses and gift cards. They also host extravagant holiday parties and fun contests during the Holidays! Lastly, the firm cares about giving back to the community, which is a trait I value as well. It’s rewarding to see a fast paced firm taking time out of their busy day to pay it forward. I would highly recommend working at Phillips Law Group!
Phillips Law Group provides a collaborative environment in which both attorneys and staff work together to achieve the best outcome for clients. As an attorney here at PLG, I’m lucky to be surrounded by seasoned attorneys and knowledgeable staff that share my enthusiasm for helping accident victims. The team here at PLG treats clients with respect and empathy while fighting hard to get the results they deserve.
Phillips law group is the best around!
Phillips Law Group has a proven track record of success. Juan Roque, in particular, is integral to that. He works with integrity, compassion, and an undefeated optimism that makes him a valuable asset.
Definitely recommend! Awesome
Jon Jamieson was amazing to work with . He came through with all of his promises.
Jasmine Delgado is an amazing paralegal. She was patient, kind and extremely knowledgeable. Highly recommend Phillips law group
PLG is the best! Highly recommend. Love that they do so much to help the community.
Great experience! Took care of pretty much everything, and I always felt like I want in good hands. Caroline Fa. was also a great help with everything. She always returned my calls and I never felt unheard. Even after my case she would still help me with my insurance documents.