Scottsdale Birth Injury Lawyer
Birth injuries can have lifelong consequences, from physical therapy and medical care to lower quality of life for the child and his or her parents. When a birth injury was caused by a health care provider’s negligence, the family may be able to seek compensation for current and future medical bills and many other damages that resulted from the injury.
The Scottsdale birth injury lawyers at Phillips Law Group understand what families go through after a birth injury occurs and are prepared to manage the legal process, if you have a valid case. Our firm has obtained more than $750 million in compensation, including $3 million in compensation for a medical malpractice case involving brain damage and $470,000 for a wrongful death caused by a delay in medical treatment.
Our firm offers a free initial consultation at no obligation to you. If you have a case and decide to pursue it, our attorneys do not get paid unless you do.
Call 1-800-706-3000 for your free consultation.
What is a Birth Injury?
A birth injury occurs during the labor or delivery process. They can happen very quickly – if the baby is deprived of oxygen for just six minutes, severe brain damage can occur, and the baby could have a lifelong disability.
This is not the same as a birth defect, which occurs when the baby is still in the womb. A birth injury can also be caused by medical negligence, unlike a birth defect, which is unrelated to a doctor’s actions. Such as a brachial plexus injury, which occurs when there is damage to the nerves that control movement in the arms and hands.
Other common examples of birth injuries include:
- Cerebral palsy
- Erb’s palsy
- Klumpke’s palsy
- Brain bleed
- Untreated jaundice
- Internal bleeding
- Spinal cord injury
- Broken bones
Some of these injuries may heal with treatment. However, others can last a long time or affect the child for the rest of his or her life and lead to a much lower quality of life.
What are Some Causes for Birth Injuries?
Most birth injuries are caused by physical trauma or lack of oxygen. Being deprived of oxygen for a short time can do permanent brain damage and potentially lead to cerebral palsy.
Some of the reasons why babies suffer physical trauma or lack of oxygen include the following:
- Failure to order a C-section when necessary – Doctors can be held liable for damages that occur when a C-section is not performed when necessary. Sometimes this procedure is necessary because labor will be too difficult and put the health of the baby in jeopardy.
- Failure to identify signs of distress – During labor, the baby must be closely monitored for any signs of distress, such as a lack of oxygen. If signs of distress go unnoticed, the baby could suffer life-altering injuries.
- Incorrectly using the forceps – if the baby is positioned incorrectly, doctors may use forceps to try to reposition the baby for a safe delivery. However, if the physician is not careful, this tool can cause nerve damage and other serious injuries to the baby.
- Incorrectly using a vacuum extractor – This is used to assist in the birthing process when a mother is having a difficult time pushing the baby through the birth canal. This tool is placed on the skull, but if it is put in the wrong spot, it can result in a significant injury.
- Failure to provide quick treatment for infections – Quick treatment can prevent injury and long-term disabilities.
- Providing unsafe medication to the mother before, during, or after giving birth – Doctors may prescribe anti-depressants or other medications to treat medical issues with the mother. However, some of these can cause severe side effects to the baby.
There are many different factors that can lead to a birth injury. These must be carefully considered to determine if medical malpractice occurred and is connected to a baby’s injury.
Our Scottsdale birth injury lawyers have extensive knowledge of how to prove whether a birth injury was caused by negligence. Contact us today so we can review your claim and determine the legal options that may be available.
Call us today at 1-800-706-3000.
Our Attorneys are Here to Help
It is important to note that cases handled by attorneys often result in clients recovering more compensation than if they did not have an attorney.
Birth injury cases are also some of the most complex personal injury cases. Victims and their families can benefit from having an experienced lawyer with extensive knowledge of how to prove birth injury negligence who knows how to analyze the many factors involved in these cases.
Our team of assistants, paralegals and investigators is standing by to collect and review medical records and consult medical experts to review details of doctor’s actions during the labor process. This can include reviewing fetal monitoring strips and doctor’s notes.
Our lawyers can also protect your claim from insurance companies looking to deny or devalue your damages. We can communicate with them on your behalf, keep you informed of settlement offers and explain when a settlement provides fair compensation.
Phillips Law Group has a proven track record of obtaining compensation for damages for injury victims in Arizona.
How Much Compensation Can I Recover?
This is a question that cannot be answered until we review the circumstances of your child’s injury and how it is affecting him or her. You can contact our firm anytime to schedule a free consultation with one of our Scottsdale birth injury lawyers so can evaluate the details of your claim and determine if you may be eligible to receive compensation.
How Long Do I Have to File a Claim?
Usually, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim in Arizona is two years from the date of the injury, but there may be instances where victims have more or less than two years to file a claim. Either way, there is limited time to file a claim, so you should call Phillips Law Group today to find out if you have a case.
Contact a Scottsdale Birth Injury Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Since 1993, we have been helping Arizona injury victims and their families recover compensation for injuries caused by negligence. We have recovered more than $750,000,000 for over 155,000 clients.
Jeffrey Phillips is the founding partner of our firm and has recovered verdicts in several Arizona counties, including Maricopa, Pima, Pinal, Mohave and Navajo. He has served as lead counsel in more than 40 jury trials. He is a member of the National Trial Lawyers Association – Top 100.
We are prepared to review your birth injury claim in a free initial case evaluation so we can determine if you can take legal action. If we determine you have a case and hire our firm, there are no upfront costs to you and we only get paid when we win compensation on your behalf.
Call us today for a free evaluation. Ph: 1-800-706-3000.