Lake Havasu City Birth Injury Attorneys
If your baby was injured at birth, you may be eligible to pursue financial compensation for damages you and your child have experienced and may experience in the future. We recommend speaking to a Lake Havasu City birth injury lawyer to learn more about your potential options for seeking compensation.
At Phillips Law Group we have nearly three decades of experience helping our clients obtain favorable compensation. Founder Jeffrey Phillips is a member of the National Trial Lawyers Association – Top 100 and has secured verdicts in Mohave, Pima, Pinal, Gila, Maricopa, Yavapai and Navajo counties. He and his firms have been able to recover more than $750 million in compensation representing more than 155,000 consumer clients.
Our firm offers a 100 percent free consultation with no obligation to take legal action. If you do decide to move forward with an attorney from our firm, we do not charge legal fees or any upfront costs. Our lawyers only get paid if we help secure compensation.
What is a Birth Injury?
A birth injury is an injury that occurs during labor or delivery of an infant. These range from minor injuries or those that heal in a short period of time to severe or permanent injuries that cause severe physical and cognitive difficulties. The severity of the situation depends on the type of injury and how much damage the child’s brain or affected body part suffers.
This is not the same thing as a birth defect. A birth defect is caused during the child’s development in the mother’s womb.
What Causes a Birth Injury?
Some of the most severe birth injuries are caused by oxygen deprivation during labor or delivery – in only six minutes, a baby can suffer permanent brain damage because of a lack of oxygen.
Some common causes of a lack of oxygen or other birth injuries may include:
- Not performing a C-section (cesarean) when necessary – When the baby or mother’s life is in danger, an emergency C-section may be necessary. When a delivery team fails to order a C-section at an appropriate time, the mother and baby may suffer serious injuries.
- Improper use of forceps – Forceps are used when the baby is positioned in such a way it is difficult to pull him or her out. The doctor may use forceps to reposition the baby to help deliver him or her safely. The doctor must use this tool carefully to avoid causing nerve damage or other injuries.
- Not monitoring the baby or mother closely enough to identify signs of distress – Not monitoring the baby could result in the infant not getting enough oxygen during birth, which could lead to severe brain damage.
- Administering medication to the mother before or during labor – Giving the mother medication may not be safe at certain times. There is a possibility of an allergic reaction that could harm the mother or baby.
- Not treating an infection immediately – There are certain infections that may endanger the unborn child. Failing to treat these infections as they arise could hurt the baby.
- Incorrect use of a vacuum extractor – In the event the mother is having difficulties pushing the baby out from the birth canal, a cup-shaped device that uses suction to gently grip the baby’s head may be used. If the tool is not used properly, it could cause the baby to suffer a serious head injury.
If your baby is the victim of a birth injury, do not hesitate to contact a licensed attorney from our firm so that we may discuss your potential legal options. Cases against health care provides are extremely complex and it can be very important to have a trusted lawyer on your side.
Types of Medical Conditions Caused by Birth Injuries
Medical malpractice during the birthing process can cause many serious medical issues:
- Pulmonary hypertension of the newborn
- Klumpke’s palsy
- Cerebral palsy
- Erb’s palsy
- Brachial plexus injury
Other types of preventable birth injuries may include:
- Internal bleeding
- Untreated jaundice
- Clavicle fractures
- Excessive bleeding
- Breathing problems
These conditions can greatly impact a child’s development and cause lifelong challenges. If your child has suffered from any of the above conditions or another medical condition that was caused during the labor process, contact a Lake Havasu City birth injury attorney to discuss possible legal options.
Am I Eligible to Pursue Compensation?
Our attorneys need to review the details of your child’s injury and the labor and delivery to determine if you may have legal options. We may review many factors to determine the options that may be available in your situation:
- The severity of the child’s injury
- When your child’s injury was discovered
- If doctors warned you about a problem during pregnancy or labor
- The damages you incurred or are expected to incur
- How the injury may be connected to the doctor’s failure to act or reckless actions
Discuss your situation with one of our Lake Havasu birth injury attorneys. There are no fees or obligations.
Liability for a Birth Injury
There are various parties who could be held liable for a child’s birth injury. These may include:
- Hospital staff
- Assistants for physicians
- Contractors paid by the hospital
The attorneys at Phillips Law Group have detailed understanding of liability for a health care-associated injury. We can also consult medical experts to help us build a robust argument for a case.
Call Phillips Law Group at 1-800-706-3000. No upfront fees.
What is the Value of My Case?
The potential value of each case heavily depends on the damages the victim suffers. If our lawyers determine that your situation is eligible for financial compensation, we will work hard to pursue the maximum damages you encountered. This may include two categories of compensation.
Economic damages are the financial losses you may have experienced or are expected to experience as a result of your baby’s injuries. Generally, these losses can be back up with bills or receipts that you may receive. It may include the cost of the following:
- Cost of corrective surgery
- Doctor’s appointment
- Assistive medical equipment your child needs like walkers, splints, wheelchairs
- Physical or speech therapy
- Prescription medication
- Medical testing
- Rehabilitation costs
- Psychological counseling
- Your lost wages for missing time at work
- Home modifications to accommodate your child’s disability
- Special education costs
We may also be able to pursue compensation for your child’s physical pain and suffering due to the birth injury. This may also include the emotional distress that you and your partner may be facing over your child’s pain and suffering.
Each case is unique and the value of your potential case depends on many factors like the severity of injury and expected recovery time. It is important to seek legal assistance to help you understand what your claim may be worth.
You can contact our office at any time. We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Call now at 1-800-706-3000.
Is There a Time Limit to Take Legal Action?
In Arizona, birth injury cases must be filed within two years from the date of the injury, or the date that the injury was discovered. Claims that are filed after this deadline may be dismissed in court.
There may be exceptions though, depending on the circumstances of your claim. It is important to discuss the situation with a lawyer as soon as possible. You may still have time to file a case.
How Can a Lawyer from Phillips Law Group Help?
You may wonder about the benefits of working with an attorney. At Phillips Law Group, our Lake Havasu City birth injury attorneys are prepared to handle the following on your behalf, if we determine you have a valid case:
- Review the medical professional’s history for past instances of medical malpractice
- Interviewing witnesses
- Collecting evidence like medical documentation and other records to support your claim
- Handling communication with involved parties on your behalf
- Determining a fair value for your claim
- Negotiating for maximum compensation
Sometimes it may be necessary to go to trial because the insurance company will not offer fair compensation. We are prepared to represent you in court and manage every stage of the trial. We also keep our clients well-informed about the status of their case.
At Phillips Law Group, we have a proven track record of recovering fair compensation for injury victims, having obtained more than $750,000,000 on behalf of Arizona injury victims.
Contact an Experienced Lake Havasu City Birth Injury Attorney Today
If your baby suffered a birth injury because of the negligence of a health care provider in Lake Havasu City, Kingsman, or the surrounding area, such as Havasu Regional Medical Center, Kingsman Regional Medical Center, or another medical facility, call our firm to discuss your situation and whether you may have options for pursing compensation.
Our firm is dedicated to the best interests of our clients and your initial consultation is 100 percent free and confidential. If you have a valid case and continue working with our firm, you will not be charged unless we help you obtain fair compensation for damages.