Free Consultation
No Fees Unless You Collect
Se Habla Español

Non-Immigrant Work Authorization Phoenix Immigration Attorneys

According to the U.S. Department of Labors Bureau of Labor Statistics, about 15.9 percent of the total labor force in the United States in 2011 was comprised of foreign-born workers. With about 24.4 million foreign-born persons in the labor force across the country, it is clear that this group of individuals plays a significant role in the nations workforce as a whole.

The Office of Foreign Labor Certification (OFLC) administers the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), which outlines the rules, regulations, and provisions in regard to employment verification, eligibility, and nondiscrimination. Under these guidelines, all employers in the United States must treat employees fairly.

Foreign-born workers in the U.S. must accurately complete Form I-9, an employment eligibility verification form which is the most integral part of non-immigrant work authorization. Any foreign-born employee seeking work in the United States must be authorized to do so legally. Keep in mind, however, that I-9 forms do expire; both employees and employers must pay careful attention to the legitimacy of their documentation in order to legally work and hire foreign-born workers.

Phillips Law Group has been defending employee rights for many years. We believe in employment law within the United States, as it protects the rights of those who have achieved non-immigrant work authorization. If you or a loved one are seeking authorization to work legally in Arizona, our Phoenix immigration attorneys are here to help.

Free consultation by phone: 1-800-706-3000.

Foreign-Born Workers in the U.S.

The United States workforce functions largely due to the significant percentage (15.9 percent) of foreign-born workers. In every ten companies in Arizona, more than 1 of them is likely to have at least one or more non-immigrant workers in their organization. With this in mind, it is clear that non-immigrant work authorization is essential to the overall functionality of the U.S. workforce.

Almost half of the foreign-born labor force is made up of Hispanics, accounting for 49 percent of the total number. In addition, the Asian population accounts for a significant 22.3 percent of the total foreign-born workforce. As the unemployment rate for foreign-born workers continues to go down, it is clear that non-immigrant work authorization is essential to the well-being of the U.S. labor force as a whole.

If you or a loved one are considering applying for non-immigrant work authorization, Phillips Law Group is here to help. Properly filing the documentation is a critical phase of achieving work approval. Our immigration attorneys have studied employment law for years and are prepared to guide you through this complex process.

Types of Non-Immigrant Work Authorization

As thousands of non-immigrant workers enter the labor force each year, they fall into a number of different categories and occupations. Foreign-born workers account for a wide range of employment, including investors, researchers, information technologists, artists, scientists, cultural exchange participants, agricultural workers, athletes, religious workers, nurses, and much, much more.

A variety of paperwork is required depending on the particular category of employment in which non-immigrant work authorization is applied for by the foreign-born worker. Each type of non-immigrant work authorization category entails specific requirements, conditions, and allotted times of stay.

The following are the most common categories of non-immigrant work authorization:

  • Authorization to work in the United States due to non-immigrant status
  • Authorization to work for a particular employer in the U.S. due to non-immigrant status
  • Authorization to file for specific permission to work
  • Temporary Workers
  • Temporary Agricultural Workers
  • Workers in Professional Occupations
  • Permanent Workers
  • Student and Exchange Visitors
  • Business Visitors

The types of non-immigrant work authorization categories range dependent upon the purpose in which the foreign-born worker is joining the labor force, as well as additional factors such as length of stay and individual status.

To learn more, please complete a Free Case Evaluation on this page.

Employment Verification Documents

The I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification form is a critical document for any foreign-born persons wishing to work in the United States. The purpose of the form is in the authorization that it gives to approved workers, allowing for them to work legally in the U.S. for a specified period of time. All of the paperwork and documentation must be completed accurately.

The following are some of the documents that may be necessary for properly filling out an I-9 form:

  • U.S. Passport
  • Alien Registration Receipt Card or Permanent Resident Card
  • Temporary Resident Card
  • Foreign Passport with temporary I-551 stamp on it
  • Employment Authorization Document
  • Drivers License
  • Social Security Card

Due to the complexities involved in the number of documents and files that must be put together in order to legally work in the U.S., many Phoenix residents seek outside, professional assistance to ensure that the paperwork is accurate and complete. If you or a family member needs guidance in establishing legal work status in the U.S., contact our Arizona law firm today.

Contact Our Phoenix Immigration Attorneys Today

Employment law is an essential part of the fabric on the United States. As the melting pot of the world, the laws surrounding work authorization for foreign-born persons helps to make up a significant portion of the U.S. labor force in general. Phillips Law Group understands how important non-immigrant workers are to the U.S., and more specifically, to Arizona. With one of the largest foreign-born work forces in the country, our immigration attorneys work hard to protect the rights of non-immigrant workers in the state.

If you or a loved one is in the process of filing for non-immigrant work authorization, you may benefit from the advice and guidance of a professional. With offices in Arizona, Utah, and California, we are able to help foreign-born persons across the country.

Call today for a free consultation. Ph: 1-800-706-3000. No fees to start your case and no fees unless we win your case.

Back to Top