Negligent Security Lawyer for Shopping Center Accidents
According to the Bureau of Justice, violent crime increased in 2021. Even so, when you are out shopping, you have the right to assume that adequate security measures will protect you from harm. The law requires property owners to take reasonable actions to keep property visitors safe. If someone sustains an injury at a shopping center due to negligent security, the building owner may be liable for damages.
Were you harmed in an attack at a shopping center due to negligent security? The compassionate legal team at Phillips Law Group is here to help. We can review your case and let you know whether you have a valid compensation claim on your hands.
At Phillips Law Group, we tailor each case to meet our client’s needs. Schedule your free case review with a member of our legal team today. Call us today at (602) 222-2222 or complete the online contact form to get in touch.
What Is Negligent Security?
Property owners in Arizona have a duty to protect visitors and guests from unsafe conditions. This includes crime that is predictable and preventable. Thus, negligent security is one category of premises liability law under which victims are entitled to recover compensation if they have been harmed as a result of inadequate security measures.
In order for a shopping center to be safe for patrons, owners need to have certain measures in place to protect them. Shopping center managers and owners are not responsible for all crimes that occur on their property – only crimes that result from a lack of reasonable steps taken to prevent crime.
What are considered to be “reasonable steps” to prevent crime depends on various factors, including:
- Whether the crime could have been foreseen
- The type of property
- The property owner’s business hours
- How much crime is in the area
- What actions could have been taken to prevent it
Examples of Negligent Security Practices in Shopping Centers
The following are examples of inadequate security measures in shopping centers:
- Lack of security personnel: Shopping centers should be adequately staffed with security personnel. These security guards are responsible for monitoring the premises and keeping visitors safe.
- Defective lock systems: You may have been assaulted by an intruder who entered the premises unlawfully due to broken locks, doors, or windows. If property owners fail to inspect, maintain, and repair their lock systems, they could be held liable for damages.
- Insufficient lighting: Hallways, parking lots, stairwells, and other areas of the shopping center should be sufficiently lit. A property manager or owner who fails to replace broken lights or provide adequate lighting could be liable if someone is assaulted on the property.
- Faulty alarm systems and security cameras: Shopping centers have alarm systems and security cameras in place to deter perpetrators from harming others. If it is obvious that these systems are not functioning properly, this could encourage nefarious behavior.
- Failure to address prior criminal behavior or activity: A shopping center may have a history of assaults or other dangerous activities. Failure to address these conditions and make the property safe could result in the property owner or manager being found negligent.
Determining Whether You Have a Valid Premises Liability Case
Each case involving negligent security at a shopping center is different. Just because you were attacked does not automatically mean that you will be able to hold the property owner responsible for your injuries.
Before recovering compensation for damages, your lawyer will need to help you establish the following:
- The shopping center owner owed you a duty of care (provided you were not trespassing)
- You were the victim of a criminal attack that was reasonably foreseeable
- The shopping center did not have adequate security measures in place to protect you
The best way to determine whether or not you have a valid case is to speak to a negligent security lawyer. At Phillips Law Group, we will review your case for free, with no obligation, to secure our services.
How a Negligent Security Lawyer Can Help After Your Shopping Center Accident
When it comes to proving negligent security claims at shopping centers, some investigation into the circumstances may be necessary. It is not easy to get property owners to take responsibility for accidents that result due to inadequate security. Even though shopping center owners are usually insured, they will typically avoid accepting fault.
Your best option for recovering compensation is to have a skilled premises liability lawyer on your side. After taking on your case, our legal team will immediately go to work to build a solid personal injury case on your behalf.
Steps your negligent security lawyers take may include:
- Investigating your case: Our legal team will examine crime statistics and reports of violence in the area. We will also determine what types of security were installed, as well as what level of security systems should have been installed based on the level of crime in the area.
- Searching for evidence: Your lawyer will also gather evidence to prove liability. This may include searching for evidence of inadequate locks or lighting, defective alarm systems, or improper security protocols.
- Defending your legal rights: Unfortunately, in an effort to avoid liability, insurance companies may try to blame the victim. Your lawyer, though, will defend your legal rights against these false accusations.
- Filing a claim: Your attorney will identify all parties who are liable for your assault or attack and file a claim or lawsuit against them. Your legal representative will ensure all paperwork is filed correctly and within the allowed statute of limitations.
- Negotiating a settlement: Shopping center owners have powerful law firms and insurance companies backing them. Our lawyers are not afraid to go up against these large entities, we will not back down until our client receives the justice he or she deserves.
What Is Your Shopping Center Negligent Security Claim Worth?
The aftermath of a serious injury suffered in a shopping center accident can be overwhelming. Nevertheless, the compensation you recover by filing a personal injury claim can make a difference in your recovery.
You may be wondering, “How much is my negligent security claim worth?” You can get an estimate by speaking to an experienced premises liability lawyer at Phillips Law Group.
The following factors may have an impact on the value of your case:
- The severity of the injuries you have sustained in the incident
- The emotional pain and trauma suffered as a result of the assault
- The amount of ongoing medical treatment or rehabilitation you will need
- The effect your injuries have had on your work, education, and home life
Recoverable Compensation Following a Negligent Security Shopping Center Accident
An assault or attack in a shopping center can leave you suffering physical, emotional, and mental harm. All parties that caused or contributed to your injuries should be held accountable for their actions.
As your personal injury lawyers, we will demand that you are compensated for all of your present and future damages, including:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment and more
At Phillips Law Group, we have a team of experts throughout Arizona to consult with as we build your case. Medical doctors, law enforcement professionals, security experts, and vocational authorities can provide valuable insight into the extent of the trauma you have endured.
With the help of these experts, we will have a better idea of how we can help you and how much compensation we should demand on your behalf.
Can You File a Lawsuit Against the Person Who Attacked You?
Yes, you can file a lawsuit against the person who attacked you, whether or not that person was formally charged with a crime. In Arizona, you are allowed to pursue compensation from anyone who contributed to your injuries. This means that, in addition to suing the shopping center owner for negligent security, you can also file a lawsuit directly against your attacker.
What if the person who attacked you does not have a lot of money or assets? Regardless of how much the court awards you, it is not worth much if you are not able to collect. A personal injury lawyer will review the circumstances of your case before filing a lawsuit, and he or she can help you determine whether it would be worthwhile to sue the person who attacked you.
Contact Us to Schedule a Free Case Evaluation
No one has the right to harm you or make you feel in fear for your life. If you were harmed in a shopping center due to a property owner’s failure to act, you do not have to navigate the justice system by yourself. Our experienced and compassionate premises liability lawyers at Phillips Law Group will be by your side through every step of the legal process.
We know what is needed to build a solid case for our clients, so you can recover top compensation for your losses when you work with us. To learn more about your legal rights and options, contact our law firm today. Our law firm takes personal injury cases on contingency. This means you will pay no upfront costs or fees for our services.
With over 40 years of experience and $1 billion recovered for our clients, we know how to successfully handle your claim. Schedule a free case review to learn more about your legal rights and options.
Free Case Evaluation
Your message has been sent
Thank you for your message, we will get back to you soon.
- Auto Accidents
- Business Litigation
- Class Action Lawsuits
- Defective Drug
- Defective Products
- Employee Rights
- Employment Law
- Firm News
- Medical Malpractice
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Nursing Home Abuse
- Pedestrian Accident
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Slip and Fall
- Social Security Disability
- Workers' Compensation
- Wrongful Death
Jasmine Delgado is an amazing paralegal. She was patient, kind and extremely knowledgeable. Highly recommend Phillips law group
Kathy Hudson and Donato Giovanatto. Continues to go above and beyond the call of duty. Reaching out to the insurance company about the damage to the vehicle. Forcing them to take responsibility.
Definitely recommend! Awesome
Phillips law group is a great firm! Caroline is great.
It’s an Honor and a Privilege to work for a company that cares about its employees and clients for 12 years. I’ve seen Management go out of their way to help someone whether it’s a personal matter or work related. I am also reminded of many occasions where a Client needed urgent help and we as a Team were able to get the person immediate assistance. At Phillips Law we make that happen through Teamwork and a dedication to our profession. I’ve had numerous jobs in several other fields, those were just jobs. This is a home. Many of us have been here for quite a few years, it feels like one large extended family.
I was recently served court documents that I was being sued from an accident that happened years ago. For someone who has never been through something like this and not familiar with the court lingo or where to even begin, it was very frustrating and stressful. I reached out to a family member who knew Tracy Laskos and the great reputation of Phillips Law Group and within the hours of the initial call for help, I had a direct number to Lead Attorney Nassar. Nassar heard my case and almost instantly put me at ease by explaining the process and how easy it was to handle. Nassar spoke to me like he was a friend, not like I was a client. I am so grateful to Tracy, Nasar and of course my cousin Stephanie for helping out and giving me the direction that I needed to get through this situation. I plan on referring my friends, family and patients that are in need of a personal injury Attorney to Phillips Law Group. Thank you!!
I have been with Phillips Law Group for a little over a year and I have learned what teamwork and family in a workplace looks like. There is always someone around to lend a helping hand, which is something I appreciate and cherish. I feel a sense of joy coming to work every day because of my co-workers as well as being able to help people in what can be a scary and stressful situation. I currently work as a Litigation Legal Assistant with an amazing team. When I started here, I was not very knowledgeable in personal injury. I was lucky to have been placed with an amazing team who was willing to take time to teach and pass on some great skills that have been a huge aid in helping me be successful in my position. I would recommend working here at Phillips Law Group, because they care about their employees and there is so much room for growth.
My Attorney Sean Davis and his paralegal Hannah Dustin worked on my case. They listened to the problems that I was having with my case and they both got right to work. First they found me a doctor that actually listened to my problems from my car accident and worked quickly to form a plan that was comfortable for me and the doctor. The doctor was the best and after a couple of procedures the pain in my neck was gone. Behind the scenes Sean and Hannah were working hard to get my case settled with the insurance company. They kept in contact with me on all aspects of my case. They settled my case much faster than I expected and for more than I was expecting. If you want two real professional legal people to work on your case, I would highly recommend Sean and Hannah to you. I cannot say enough nice things about these two. Thank you so much, Rickey Hart .
Positive: Professionalism, Quality, Responsiveness, Value As someone who is familiar with the inner workings of the auto insurance industry I can whole heartedly endorse Steven J. Jones and Phillips law group as someone I would want on my side should litigation take place. They handled my case professionally, honestly, and with satisfactory results which I would not have expected without enlisting their help.