FLSA Rights and Worker Exploitation in Arizona
- Home /
- FLSA Rights and Worker Exploitation in Arizona
The Fair Labor Standards Act, or FLSA, is a wide-ranging federal law thats designed to protect workers by imposing basic standards of reasonability in how they are put to work for employers. The law was originally enacted in 1938 to combat employer practices that exploited their workers by way of required overtime without the requisite pay, employing underage workers and other practices that were seen as not only unreasonable, but dangerous. If you or a loved one feels your rights are being exploited by an unfair employer, contact an Arizona workers rights lawyer today for a case review.
Below is an overview of the FLSA and worker exploitation. Youll find information regarding the basic requirements of the FLSA, certain abuses that constitute worker exploitation and how you should proceed if you or someone you love has been harmed as a result of this issue.
FLSA and Worker’s Rights in Arizona
The FLSA is an enormous federal law, and the aspects of employment that it covers include:
- Minimum wage standards The federal government sets the national minimum wage, and different states can set their own minimums provided that they do not go below the number established on a national level. The current minimum wage is set at $6.55 per hour, and in July of 2009 that number rises to $7.25 per hour.
- Overtime pay The FLSA establishes requirements for extra pay for hours worked beyond the normal workweek, which is usually 40 hours. Generally, workers must be paid 1.5 times their normal rate for each hour worked beyond that normal amount.
- Youth employment The statute governs the definition of child laborer and sets the minimum age for adult employment at 16. Workers younger than 16 are restricted in terms of the number of hours they can work.
There are other requirements, including equal pay for equal work, but the most common problems that arise in terms of worker exploitation involve minimum wage and overtime pay. Below are some common issues that arise with the FLSA.
Phoenix Worker Exploitation Issues and Employee Rights
There are several issues that arise that by result violate certain tenets of the FLSA, and a few examples appear below:
- Salaried employees Many employers mistakenly believe that paying a worker on a salary basis as opposed to a per-hour basis creates an exemption from having to pay overtime. This is simply not the case. There are exemptions to the overtime laws based on working in management, in an outside sales capacity and others, but simply classifying someone as a salaried employee does not remove the jurisdiction of the FLSA.
- Misclassification of an exempt worker Companies tend to classify workers as exempt, which means that they are generally not subject to minimum wage and overtime regulations. As mentioned above, certain positions are exempt, but companies will sometimes exempt other positions improperly, and this ultimately deprives the workers of several basic rights.
- Non-pre-approved overtime Many companies have internal policies that state that overtime pay will only be made to the worker if that overtime is approved before its completed. Regardless of any internal policy, it will not be considered valid if it violates relevant statutes, and this type of policy does tend to fly in the face of the FLSA.
FLSA Lawsuit Claims and FLSA Attorneys in AZ
If you feel that your rights under the FLSA or any other employment statute have been violated, you need to take action as soon as possible. Contact the FLSA and worker exploitation attorneys atPhillips Law Group to schedule a free initial consultation by phone 1-800-706-3000 . No fees to start your case and no fees unless we win.
Free Case Evaluation
Your message has been sent
Thank you for your message, we will get back to you soon.
Working at Phillips Law Group has been a blessing from the beginning for me and I am extremely thankful to work for a firm that values their employees so much. Here I believe we are a huge family of hard working people that can bring a sense of comfort to our client’s lives in times of hardships, stress and chaos. From intake to Settlement we strive to provide the best customer care to all of our wonderful clients. With a 4.8 rating and over 1100+ star reviews on Google no surprise our firm is extremely well known for the quality of work we do!! #teamPLG!!
A friend of mine recommended Phillips Law and I’m so grateful, because they were so wonderful, so down to earth, so professional. I felt like they were family.
I want to thank attorneys Tim and Robert and the paralegal Bethany for all they had done on my case. They were all empathetic, knowledgeable and professional. All my questions were answered, emails returned in a timely matter, and promises fulfilled. I recommend Phillips Law Group if you need help with your injury case.
Sophia H. at Phillips Law Group has been an absolute joy to work with -quick, responsive, and professional in every interaction. Her breadth of knowledge, from administration to IT to finance, is nothing short of impressive.
Kathy Hudson and Donato Giovanatto. Continues to go above and beyond the call of duty. Reaching out to the insurance company about the damage to the vehicle. Forcing them to take responsibility.
Phillips law group has an amazing staff and i recommend them to everyone.
Jasmine helped me so so much I want to thank her ! And also Aaron , i was always scared after an accident , knowing I would have to deal with lawyers but not here . Luckily I’ve only been in 3 accidents but this time it was fast and easy . And i received all the treatments I needed to help me recover ! Thank you Jasmine and Aaron!
Phillips Law Group is a company that has taught me so many things. Here your work, your dedication, effort and discipline are valued, in addition to the fact that, as a woman, as an immigrant and as a human being, I have been given value and empowerment. We are a successful law firm because all workers feel part of a great family. I am very proud and honored to work at Phillips Law Group.
I didn’t know anything about the area, and Phillips Law Group just took care of everything. They helped made sure I knew where I was going, made sure I didn’t have to worry. They literally just took care of me.
Positive: Professionalism, Quality, Responsiveness, Value As someone who is familiar with the inner workings of the auto insurance industry I can whole heartedly endorse Steven J. Jones and Phillips law group as someone I would want on my side should litigation take place. They handled my case professionally, honestly, and with satisfactory results which I would not have expected without enlisting their help.