Tips to Driving in a Dust Storm
- Home /
- Tips to Driving in a Dust Storm
A violent dust or sandstorm, also known as a haboob, usually arrives without warning. Typically, an approaching dust storm is characterized by an advancing wall of dust and debris that can be miles long and several thousand feet high. Due to limited visibility, dust storms are usually responsible for massive multi-car pile-ups.
Every year, on average, five people are killed in dust-storm-related auto accidents. Although they can happen any time of year, haboobs are most common between May and October in Maricopa and Pima County. If you find yourself on a road in Phoenix,the following Arizona dust storm driving tips can prove vital to your safety.
Arizona Dust Storm Driving Pointers
- If you see a storm approaching, get off the road immediately, stop your car and wait for it to pass.
- If you end up driving through a dust storm, turn on your lights and slow down. Use the center lines on the road as a guide.
- Do not, for any reason, stop your car on the roadway.If you do not wish to drive through a dust storm, pull your vehicle completely off the road, put it in park, pull the emergency brake and, most importantly, turn off your lights. Vehicles approaching from the rear often use the tail lights of the cars in front of them as a guide. Stopped cars that leave on their headlights usually result in collisions.
- Keep emergency items such as food and water in your car. Dust storms generally only last a few minutes, but can cause massive road delays.
- Do not swerve to avoid tumbleweeds; rather, run them over. Tumbleweeds cannot cause property damage to your vehicle.
- Sound your horn intermittently to alert fellow drivers of your presence. A dense dust cloud can prevent other drivers from seeing your vehicle, so sounding your horn occasionally will alert them to your location.
- After a dust storm has passed, use caution when returning to the pavement. The road may be slippery and pavement markings such as lane indicators may not be visible. Rain usually accompanies dust storms and can cause slick driving conditions.
If YOU or a loved one need some more dust storm driving pointers – or perhaps you have been involved in a car crash from a dust storm, the Phillips Law Group can help. We proudly serve Arizona injury victims and can provide decades of legal experience obtained from helping people just like you.
To find out how we can help, please call 1-800-706-3000 and a member from our intake team will quickly collect some details about your case and then connect you to one of our Phoenix personal injury attorneys – it’s that easy!
If you would like to start immediately, simply fill out the form at the top of this page! It’s FREE!
Free Case Evaluation
Your message has been sent
Thank you for your message, we will get back to you soon.
- Auto Accidents
- Business Litigation
- Class Action Lawsuits
- Defective Drug
- Defective Products
- Employee Rights
- Employment Law
- Firm News
- Medical Malpractice
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Nursing Home Abuse
- Pedestrian Accident
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Slip and Fall
- Social Security Disability
- Workers' Compensation
- Wrongful Death
Kathy Hudson and Donato Giovanatto. Continues to go above and beyond the call of duty. Reaching out to the insurance company about the damage to the vehicle. Forcing them to take responsibility.
Two family members were in a bad wreck a couple of years ago, and as a result called Phillips Law to represent them. Montana Thompson was the attorney assigned to the case with the help of Nemo Farr as legal assistant. Mr. Thompson litigated a very generous settlement for both my stepdaughter and her son. Because my grandson is a minor, I decided to act as conservator for him to ensure the settlement was safe and secure. Montana helped with that process, but it was Nemo who went way above and beyond the call in finding a financial institution to use for the restricted account. There were some glitches in that process but Nemo helped navigate them with a calm expertise which belies his age. I would consider them both great representatives of the level of commitment to their clients and assets to their firm.
Phillips Law Group is a company that has taught me so many things. Here your work, your dedication, effort and discipline are valued, in addition to the fact that, as a woman, as an immigrant and as a human being, I have been given value and empowerment. We are a successful law firm because all workers feel part of a great family. I am very proud and honored to work at Phillips Law Group.
Phillips law group has an amazing staff and i recommend them to everyone.
Jon Jamieson was amazing to work with . He came through with all of his promises.
Great company and awesome service. Thanks Caroline fabos. Kudos to all.
Phillips Law Group does so much for the community!!! I especially enjoy seeing Juan Roque out there. This gentle giant always has a smile on his face and is a part of a caring and giving team.
My paralegal , Caroline , was on top of her game - very responsive and always answered any questions I had and in a timely manner . My attorney Rob ,was the best attorney I ever had . He explained everything in great detail and had a great sense or humor . He really knows how to bring light To tough , unfortunate situations - I would absolutely recommend them at anyone -
Liz Gonzales was great!!!!
Positive: Professionalism, Quality, Responsiveness, Value As someone who is familiar with the inner workings of the auto insurance industry I can whole heartedly endorse Steven J. Jones and Phillips law group as someone I would want on my side should litigation take place. They handled my case professionally, honestly, and with satisfactory results which I would not have expected without enlisting their help.