Arizona Traffic Laws and Safety Tips for Bicyclists
- Home / Auto Accidents /
- Arizona Traffic Laws and Safety Tips for Bicyclists
November 6, 2019
No matter how much experience you have riding a bicycle on Arizona streets, it is still important to review state laws for bicyclists. These laws are designed to help keep you safe and prevent accidents with cars that could cause severe injuries.
You should also review some of the best practices for bicyclists recommended by the Arizona Department of Public Safety. Many of these are common sense tips, but it is easy to develop bad habits and forget to do simple things that could keep you safe and help lower your risk of a dangerous crash.
If you are ever injured in a bicycle crash, you should contact our Phoenix car accident attorneys for a free legal consultation. There is no obligation to take legal action and there are no upfront costs for having us represent you if we determine you have a case.
Arizona Laws for Bicyclists
Arizona has various laws governing what bicyclists can and cannot do on the road. For example, Arizona statutes say bicyclists must:
- Obey traffic lights and stop signs
- Yield the right-of-way to pedestrians who are in crosswalks or on sidewalks
- Always have at least one hand on the handlebars
- Have a minimum of one brake on the bike that makes the wheel skid when it is applied
- Have a regular seat on their bike
- Look behind, signal before changing lanes and yield to traffic already in the lane ”“ extend your right arm for a right turn or left arm for a left turn
- Ride in the right-hand lane or as close to the right edge of the road as possible, unless you are getting ready to turn
- Wear a bicycle helmet if you are under the age of 18 and are riding in Tucson, Sierra Vista, Yuma or Pima county
Arizona law prohibits the following:
- Holding onto another vehicle
- Riding next to more than one bicycle ”“ you cannot ride next to another bicycle if you are on an exclusive bike path
- Riding at night without a headlight that is visible from at least 500 feet away and a rear reflector that can be viewed from 50 to 300 feet
Safety Tips for Riding Your Bicycle
Arizona’s Department of Public Safety also has tips for bicyclists to help reduce their risk of injury. This includes:
- Making sure your bicycle works properly before hitting the road
- Learn how to look behind you without swerving or losing your balance
- Put on brightly-colored clothing to make yourself more visible to drivers
- Watch for hazards and be prepared to maneuver to avoid them
- Even if you have the right of way, check for oncoming traffic at intersections
- Always wear a helmet, no matter how short of a trip you are taking
For example, you should not ride on the sidewalk. The problem with sidewalks is trees, hedges, parked cars and buildings can create blind spots and make it difficult to avoid hazards that appear. You should also avoid passing pedestrians until you know you have their attention.
This site also emphasizes the importance of wearing a helmet, particularly for children. Helmets should be level on the head, just above the eyebrows and not be too far forward or back. The strap should be tight when the child opens his or her mouth wide. If a child is ever involved in a crash, he or she should get a new helmet before his or her next bicycle ride.
Contact Our Firm for a Free Case Evaluation
Injured in a bicycle crash with a car?
The driver could be at fault and you could be eligible for compensation. It is important to review the situation with a licensed attorney who can determine if you may have legal options.
Our experienced attorneys have a proven track record of recovering fair compensation for Arizona injury victims. We have obtained more than $1 billion in more than 27 years.
Call us today to discuss what happened. 1-800-706-3000
Free Case Evaluation
Your message has been sent
Thank you for your message, we will get back to you soon.
It’s an Honor and a Privilege to work for a company that cares about its employees and clients for 12 years. I’ve seen Management go out of their way to help someone whether it’s a personal matter or work related. I am also reminded of many occasions where a Client needed urgent help and we as a Team were able to get the person immediate assistance. At Phillips Law we make that happen through Teamwork and a dedication to our profession. I’ve had numerous jobs in several other fields, those were just jobs. This is a home. Many of us have been here for quite a few years, it feels like one large extended family.
Jasmine Delgado is an amazing paralegal. She was patient, kind and extremely knowledgeable. Highly recommend Phillips law group
PLG is the best! Highly recommend. Love that they do so much to help the community.
Phillips law group is the best around!
The lawyers here are of top quality. Especially Trey Dayes, who was always respectful and hard-working.
Jeffrey Phillips is truly a brilliant attorney and businessman. I would not hesitate for a moment to contact him if I needed a personal injury attorney in Arizona, you would be fortunate to have him and his team. If you have a car accident, slip and fall in a store, or get punched in the face, call Phillips.
Many companies talk about teamwork but few practice it. Many companies talk about an employee friendly environment but few actually provide it. At Phillips Law Group the foundation of our success is making sure we work as a team and that we work in an environment that allows everyone to thrive and be at their best every day. Our firm understands that in order for the client to have a great experience the people responsible for that client’s case must be given all the necessary tools and encouragement to make that happen. That’s the Phillips Way. As a manager of this firm in charge of several employees as well as directly affecting the client’s experience I take tremendous pride in saying we live by these premises and we work hard to build on them and make them better every day. This is an amazing place because it has amazing people working here!
They knew exactly how to explain the case to me in a way that I would understand it. They gave me hope that my life wasn’t over.
I have been with Phillips Law Group for a little over a year and I have learned what teamwork and family in a workplace looks like. There is always someone around to lend a helping hand, which is something I appreciate and cherish. I feel a sense of joy coming to work every day because of my co-workers as well as being able to help people in what can be a scary and stressful situation. I currently work as a Litigation Legal Assistant with an amazing team. When I started here, I was not very knowledgeable in personal injury. I was lucky to have been placed with an amazing team who was willing to take time to teach and pass on some great skills that have been a huge aid in helping me be successful in my position. I would recommend working here at Phillips Law Group, because they care about their employees and there is so much room for growth.
Sophia H is a pleasure to work with! Thanks for all you do.