How to Prevent Fall Risks in Nursing Homes
- Home / Nursing Home Abuse /
- How to Prevent Fall Risks in Nursing Homes
January 8, 2019
Falls are the leading cause of death for individuals age 65 and older. The death rate for seniors has increased by 30 percent between 2007 and 2016, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Every year, three million older people are treated in emergency rooms for fall injuries. Understanding risk factors associated with falls and recognizing ways to reduce these falls can help protect nursing home residents.
If your loved one was injured by a fall that you believe was caused by nursing home negligence, an experienced Phoenix nursing home abuse attorney at Phillips Law Group can help.
Risk Factors for Nursing Home Falls
Falls happen more often in nursing homes than in the community. Nursing home residents may have existing medical problems that make them more prone to falling. They are often less mobile and older. They may also suffer from chronic diseases, cognitive decline or the inability to perform daily tasks.
Some risk factors that contribute to falling include:
- Muscle weakness
- Environmental hazards like broken or uneven steps, throw rugs, clutter, poor lighting, wet floors or incorrect bed height
- Difficulty with walking or balance
- Vitamin D deficiency
- Vision problems
- Changes in medication type or dosage
- Improper elder foot care
- Attempts at walking in a room or in the facility without assistance from nursing home staff
- Use of sleeping medication, anti-anxiety, antidepressant or tranquilizers
Many falls are caused by a combination of factors. Reducing these risks can help protect nursing home residents.
However, many falls in nursing homes are due to the nursing home’s negligence. Nursing homes are responsible for establishing fall prevention programs. Nursing homes must assess new residents for their possible fall risk. They should review their medication list to see if they are at an increased fall risk. Additionally, nursing home staff should be educated about potential fall problems. When these measures are not taken, residents can become injured.
Consequences After a Fall
Falls can lead to significant injuries, especially for the elderly or infirm. Some of the consequences of falls include:
- Traumatic head injuries ”“ Falls are the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries. These injuries can be serious, especially when a patient is already taking certain medications, such as blood thinners.
- Hip fracture ”“ Falls commonly cause hip fractures. More than 95 percent of hip fractures are due to falling. Every year, about 300,000 older people are hospitalized because of hip fractures.
- Serious injury ”“ One of out five falls causes a serious injury. This may include head injuries, fractures, internal damage or other injuries. Falls can cause wrist, arm or ankle fractures.
- Increased medical expenses ”“ Total medical costs for falls were $50 billion in 2015.
- Fear of falling ”“ Individuals may become afraid of falling and curtail their activities.
How to Prevent Falls in Nursing Homes
Many falls can be prevented. Some ways to reduce falls in nursing homes include the following:
- Establishing a fall protection plan ”“ Nursing homes should establish fall protection plans to protect residents. This includes educating the staff about falls, risk factors for falls and how to prevent them. In the unfortunate event of a fall, also assessing the resident and treating the underlying health condition that contributed to the fall in the first place.
- Reviewing medication lists ”“ The nursing home should review a resident’s medication list to see if any of medication may make them sleepy, dizzy or otherwise affect their balance or fall risk.
- Giving vitamin D supplements ”“ Vitamin D can help strengthen a resident’s bones.
- Implementing exercise activities ”“ Having physical exercises can improve strength, balance and overall mobility for residents with cognitive impairments.
- Removing hazards ”“ Rugs should be removed. Floors should be regularly inspected for possible hazards. Spills should be cleaned up immediately. Light bulbs should be replaced immediately. Grab bars should be placed inside the bathroom.
Speak with a Qualified Attorney Today
If your loved one fell in a nursing home, it may be an indication that the nursing home was not properly caring for your loved one. At Phillips Law Group, we can investigate your claim and determine if nursing home negligence played a part. We have helped many families recover compensation after nursing home residents were injured due to the carelessness of facilities.
We can discuss your case during a free, no-obligation consultation. We work on a contingency fee basis, so we will not charge any attorney fees until we have successfully recovered compensation on your behalf.
Give us a call at 1-800-706-3000 or fill out our Free Case Evaluation form today.
Free Case Evaluation
Your message has been sent
Thank you for your message, we will get back to you soon.
I’ve been working at Phillips Law Group for nearly four years and I can confidently say this is the best personal injury firm in Arizona to work for. The firm is the best for numerous reasons but to start, Phillips Law Group gives employees opportunities for promotions and growth. I started working within the settlement department, moved to a paralegal assistant and grew to be a pre-litigation paralegal with my own case load. Each attorney I have worked for is extremely knowledgeable, friendly, and easy to talk to. Secondly, I love how Phillips Law shows appreciation for employees. They host Friday Zoom Huddles giving out PTO, goodie bags, special shout outs, bonuses and gift cards. They also host extravagant holiday parties and fun contests during the Holidays! Lastly, the firm cares about giving back to the community, which is a trait I value as well. It’s rewarding to see a fast paced firm taking time out of their busy day to pay it forward. I would highly recommend working at Phillips Law Group!
Working at Phillips Law Group has been a blessing from the beginning for me and I am extremely thankful to work for a firm that values their employees so much. Here I believe we are a huge family of hard working people that can bring a sense of comfort to our client’s lives in times of hardships, stress and chaos. From intake to Settlement we strive to provide the best customer care to all of our wonderful clients. With a 4.8 rating and over 1100+ star reviews on Google no surprise our firm is extremely well known for the quality of work we do!! #teamPLG!!
Phillips is the best!! Love all that they do to give back to the community and how much they help those who are experiencing homelessness. ❤️
Positive: Professionalism, Quality, Responsiveness, Value As someone who is familiar with the inner workings of the auto insurance industry I can whole heartedly endorse Steven J. Jones and Phillips law group as someone I would want on my side should litigation take place. They handled my case professionally, honestly, and with satisfactory results which I would not have expected without enlisting their help.
They knew exactly how to explain the case to me in a way that I would understand it. They gave me hope that my life wasn’t over.
My Attorney Sean Davis and his paralegal Hannah Dustin worked on my case. They listened to the problems that I was having with my case and they both got right to work. First they found me a doctor that actually listened to my problems from my car accident and worked quickly to form a plan that was comfortable for me and the doctor. The doctor was the best and after a couple of procedures the pain in my neck was gone. Behind the scenes Sean and Hannah were working hard to get my case settled with the insurance company. They kept in contact with me on all aspects of my case. They settled my case much faster than I expected and for more than I was expecting. If you want two real professional legal people to work on your case, I would highly recommend Sean and Hannah to you. I cannot say enough nice things about these two. Thank you so much, Rickey Hart .
I enjoy my work day here at Phillips Law Group and generally speaking I love my clients. Every day brings a new client or task to keep me on my toes. Administration keeps open communication and is hilarious most of the time! I love the way we celebrate FRIDAY, holidays and birthdays and how everything is so competitive. All in all I’m so fortunate to be here and I enjoy what I do.
I want to thank attorneys Tim and Robert and the paralegal Bethany for all they had done on my case. They were all empathetic, knowledgeable and professional. All my questions were answered, emails returned in a timely matter, and promises fulfilled. I recommend Phillips Law Group if you need help with your injury case.
It’s an Honor and a Privilege to work for a company that cares about its employees and clients for 12 years. I’ve seen Management go out of their way to help someone whether it’s a personal matter or work related. I am also reminded of many occasions where a Client needed urgent help and we as a Team were able to get the person immediate assistance. At Phillips Law we make that happen through Teamwork and a dedication to our profession. I’ve had numerous jobs in several other fields, those were just jobs. This is a home. Many of us have been here for quite a few years, it feels like one large extended family.
Jasmine Delgado is an amazing paralegal. She was patient, kind and extremely knowledgeable. Highly recommend Phillips law group