Preventing Parking Lot Accidents | Phillips Law Group
- Home / Auto Accidents /
- Preventing Parking Lot Accidents | Phillips Law Group
December 13, 2018
When people think of car accidents, they often think about accidents that occur on busy highways or two-lane roads. However, parking lot accidents are a potential danger zone that should not be ignored. Many accidents occur in parking lots within a few miles of where people live. This is especially true during the holiday season when more motorists are on the road to go shopping or visit loved ones.
Parking lots are busy and often involve many possible dangers, including running children, many vehicles in confined spaces, vehicles moving in different directions and physical obstacles. Understanding the risks parking lots pose and how to avoid accidents can help you stay safe this season.
If you were injured in a parking lot accident, an experienced Phoenix car accident lawyer from Phillips Law Group can help. We can discuss your legal options during a free consultation.
Reckless Driving in Parking Lots
Parking lots are not designed for speeding. However, many motorists quickly drive around these lots, potentially putting others in danger. Most motorists should drive no more than five miles per hour while in a parking lot, but many do not do this.
Additionally, many motorists misjudge the dangerous nature of driving in a parking lot and engage in distracted driving activities. Many admit to engaging in the following distracting activities:
- Making calls to others
- Programming GPS systems
- Texting while driving
- Sending or receiving emails
- Taking photos
- Watching videos
- Grooming themselves
When motorists act in a reckless way and cause an auto accident, you may be entitled to compensation for the damages you suffer.
Types of Parking Lot Accidents
There are several ways that parking lot accidents are caused. Some of the most common types of parking lot accidents include:
- Two drivers back into each other ”“ In this type of accident, both vehicles are moving. Neither one may have looked for the other. Neither driver may have the right-of-way, so responsibility may be shared between the drivers.
- A driver pulls forward into traffic ”“ In these accidents, the driver pulls out of a parking space and into the lane of traffic, colliding with a moving vehicle in the process. In this situation, the driver who is moving into traffic may be at fault because he or she did not yield to oncoming traffic.
- A driver backs into an oncoming car ”“ In other accidents, a motorist may back out of a space and into an oncoming vehicle. He or she may be responsible for this accident because he or she failed to wait until a safe moment to back out.
- Parking vehicles collide ”“ In this type of accident, two motorists rush into the same parking space and collide with each other in the process. Both may bear responsibility in this type of accident. However, the driver turning left into the spot may have more fault for failing to yield.
Tips to Avoid These Accidents
Fortunately, there are many steps that motorists can take to reduce the likelihood of an accident. Some of the best ways to avoid accidents include:
- Looking before backing up ”“ Look over your shoulder and use your mirrors as you back up.
- Using turn signals ”“ Indicate your intentions by activating your turn signal.
- Maintaining a low speed ”“ Keep your speed at five miles per hour or slower when looking for a parking space or traveling out of a parking lot.
- Parking further away ”“ You can avoid competition for parking spaces and be around less trafficked areas by parking a little further away.
- Obeying parking lot signs ”“ Respect all stop signs, no-parking signs and other parking lot signs.
Find Out About Your Legal Options After a Car Accident
If you were injured in a parking lot accident, it is important that you learn about your legal rights. You may be entitled to compensation for the damages that you suffered, including payment for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering, even if you contributed to the accident.
A licensed Phoenix personal injury attorney at the Phillips Law Group can discuss the specific circumstances of your claim during a free consultation. He or she can advise you if you have a viable claim and what your options are for recovery. We work on a contingency fee basis, so you do not pay for our services unless we help you recover compensation.
Schedule your free case evaluation today by calling 1-800-706-3000 .
Free Case Evaluation
Your message has been sent
Thank you for your message, we will get back to you soon.
Phillips is the best!! Love all that they do to give back to the community and how much they help those who are experiencing homelessness. ❤️
Sophia H is very helpful.
Sophia H. at Phillips Law Group has been an absolute joy to work with -quick, responsive, and professional in every interaction. Her breadth of knowledge, from administration to IT to finance, is nothing short of impressive.
Phillips Law Group is a company that has taught me so many things. Here your work, your dedication, effort and discipline are valued, in addition to the fact that, as a woman, as an immigrant and as a human being, I have been given value and empowerment. We are a successful law firm because all workers feel part of a great family. I am very proud and honored to work at Phillips Law Group.
Phillips Law Group provides a collaborative environment in which both attorneys and staff work together to achieve the best outcome for clients. As an attorney here at PLG, I’m lucky to be surrounded by seasoned attorneys and knowledgeable staff that share my enthusiasm for helping accident victims. The team here at PLG treats clients with respect and empathy while fighting hard to get the results they deserve.
My Attorney Sean Davis and his paralegal Hannah Dustin worked on my case. They listened to the problems that I was having with my case and they both got right to work. First they found me a doctor that actually listened to my problems from my car accident and worked quickly to form a plan that was comfortable for me and the doctor. The doctor was the best and after a couple of procedures the pain in my neck was gone. Behind the scenes Sean and Hannah were working hard to get my case settled with the insurance company. They kept in contact with me on all aspects of my case. They settled my case much faster than I expected and for more than I was expecting. If you want two real professional legal people to work on your case, I would highly recommend Sean and Hannah to you. I cannot say enough nice things about these two. Thank you so much, Rickey Hart .
I would have no hesitation at all recommending Phillips Law Group. In particular, Juan Roque has impressed me with his professionalism, his integrity and his heart for the community!
Many companies talk about teamwork but few practice it. Many companies talk about an employee friendly environment but few actually provide it. At Phillips Law Group the foundation of our success is making sure we work as a team and that we work in an environment that allows everyone to thrive and be at their best every day. Our firm understands that in order for the client to have a great experience the people responsible for that client’s case must be given all the necessary tools and encouragement to make that happen. That’s the Phillips Way. As a manager of this firm in charge of several employees as well as directly affecting the client’s experience I take tremendous pride in saying we live by these premises and we work hard to build on them and make them better every day. This is an amazing place because it has amazing people working here!
It’s an Honor and a Privilege to work for a company that cares about its employees and clients for 12 years. I’ve seen Management go out of their way to help someone whether it’s a personal matter or work related. I am also reminded of many occasions where a Client needed urgent help and we as a Team were able to get the person immediate assistance. At Phillips Law we make that happen through Teamwork and a dedication to our profession. I’ve had numerous jobs in several other fields, those were just jobs. This is a home. Many of us have been here for quite a few years, it feels like one large extended family.
Liz Gonzales was great!!!!