Preventing Parking Lot Accidents | Phillips Law Group
When people think of car accidents, they often think about accidents that occur on busy highways or two-lane roads. However, parking lot accidents are a potential danger zone that should not be ignored. Many accidents occur in parking lots within a few miles of where people live. This is especially true during the holiday season when more motorists are on the road to go shopping or visit loved ones.
Parking lots are busy and often involve many possible dangers, including running children, many vehicles in confined spaces, vehicles moving in different directions and physical obstacles. Understanding the risks parking lots pose and how to avoid accidents can help you stay safe this season.
If you were injured in a parking lot accident, an experienced Phoenix car accident lawyer from Phillips Law Group can help. We can discuss your legal options during a free consultation.
Reckless Driving in Parking Lots
Parking lots are not designed for speeding. However, many motorists quickly drive around these lots, potentially putting others in danger. Most motorists should drive no more than five miles per hour while in a parking lot, but many do not do this.
Additionally, many motorists misjudge the dangerous nature of driving in a parking lot and engage in distracted driving activities. Many admit to engaging in the following distracting activities:
- Making calls to others
- Programming GPS systems
- Texting while driving
- Sending or receiving emails
- Taking photos
- Watching videos
- Grooming themselves
When motorists act in a reckless way and cause an auto accident, you may be entitled to compensation for the damages you suffer.
Types of Parking Lot Accidents
There are several ways that parking lot accidents are caused. Some of the most common types of parking lot accidents include:
- Two drivers back into each other ”“ In this type of accident, both vehicles are moving. Neither one may have looked for the other. Neither driver may have the right-of-way, so responsibility may be shared between the drivers.
- A driver pulls forward into traffic ”“ In these accidents, the driver pulls out of a parking space and into the lane of traffic, colliding with a moving vehicle in the process. In this situation, the driver who is moving into traffic may be at fault because he or she did not yield to oncoming traffic.
- A driver backs into an oncoming car ”“ In other accidents, a motorist may back out of a space and into an oncoming vehicle. He or she may be responsible for this accident because he or she failed to wait until a safe moment to back out.
- Parking vehicles collide ”“ In this type of accident, two motorists rush into the same parking space and collide with each other in the process. Both may bear responsibility in this type of accident. However, the driver turning left into the spot may have more fault for failing to yield.
Tips to Avoid These Accidents
Fortunately, there are many steps that motorists can take to reduce the likelihood of an accident. Some of the best ways to avoid accidents include:
- Looking before backing up ”“ Look over your shoulder and use your mirrors as you back up.
- Using turn signals ”“ Indicate your intentions by activating your turn signal.
- Maintaining a low speed ”“ Keep your speed at five miles per hour or slower when looking for a parking space or traveling out of a parking lot.
- Parking further away ”“ You can avoid competition for parking spaces and be around less trafficked areas by parking a little further away.
- Obeying parking lot signs ”“ Respect all stop signs, no-parking signs and other parking lot signs.
Find Out About Your Legal Options After a Car Accident
If you were injured in a parking lot accident, it is important that you learn about your legal rights. You may be entitled to compensation for the damages that you suffered, including payment for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering, even if you contributed to the accident.
A licensed Phoenix personal injury attorney at the Phillips Law Group can discuss the specific circumstances of your claim during a free consultation. He or she can advise you if you have a viable claim and what your options are for recovery. We work on a contingency fee basis, so you do not pay for our services unless we help you recover compensation.
Schedule your free case evaluation today by calling 1-800-706-3000 .
Jasmine , did a great job . Highly recommend!!!!!
Jeffrey Phillips is truly a brilliant attorney and businessman. I would not hesitate for a moment to contact him if I needed a personal injury attorney in Arizona, you would be fortunate to have him and his team. If you have a car accident, slip and fall in a store, or get punched in the face, call Phillips.
The lawyers here are of top quality. Especially Trey Dayes, who was always respectful and hard-working.
Jasmine helped me so so much I want to thank her ! And also Aaron , i was always scared after an accident , knowing I would have to deal with lawyers but not here . Luckily I’ve only been in 3 accidents but this time it was fast and easy . And i received all the treatments I needed to help me recover ! Thank you Jasmine and Aaron!
They knew exactly how to explain the case to me in a way that I would understand it. They gave me hope that my life wasn’t over.
Phillips law group is the best around!
Phillips Law Group has a proven track record of success. Juan Roque, in particular, is integral to that. He works with integrity, compassion, and an undefeated optimism that makes him a valuable asset.
My Attorney Sean Davis and his paralegal Hannah Dustin worked on my case. They listened to the problems that I was having with my case and they both got right to work. First they found me a doctor that actually listened to my problems from my car accident and worked quickly to form a plan that was comfortable for me and the doctor. The doctor was the best and after a couple of procedures the pain in my neck was gone. Behind the scenes Sean and Hannah were working hard to get my case settled with the insurance company. They kept in contact with me on all aspects of my case. They settled my case much faster than I expected and for more than I was expecting. If you want two real professional legal people to work on your case, I would highly recommend Sean and Hannah to you. I cannot say enough nice things about these two. Thank you so much, Rickey Hart .
Two family members were in a bad wreck a couple of years ago, and as a result called Phillips Law to represent them. Montana Thompson was the attorney assigned to the case with the help of Nemo Farr as legal assistant. Mr. Thompson litigated a very generous settlement for both my stepdaughter and her son. Because my grandson is a minor, I decided to act as conservator for him to ensure the settlement was safe and secure. Montana helped with that process, but it was Nemo who went way above and beyond the call in finding a financial institution to use for the restricted account. There were some glitches in that process but Nemo helped navigate them with a calm expertise which belies his age. I would consider them both great representatives of the level of commitment to their clients and assets to their firm.
Juan Roque has been integral with my legal needs. Communication has been easy. He conveys information I can easily understand without a lot of "Legal Fluff" jargon. I will certainly do business with Phillips Legal team again and refer them to my friends and family.