Road Hazards that Cause Motorcycle Accidents
- Home / Motorcycle Accidents /
- Road Hazards that Cause Motorcycle Accidents
December 26, 2018
While all motorists must deal with road hazards like debris on the roadway, ice or slippery surfaces, motorcyclists must have a heightened focus on these potential hazards. Things that have little effect for motorists, such as uneven road surfaces, can be potentially fatal for a motorcyclist. It is important that bikers know what hazards to look out for and how to handle them.
If you believe that unsafe roads may have played a part in your motorcycle accident, our Phoenix motorcycle accident attorneys at Phillips Law Group are ready to assist. We can thoroughly investigate your accident to determine if you have a viable claim. If you decide to move forward, we can help you with all aspects of the claims process.
Most Common Road Hazards
Motorcyclists encounter many more road hazards than other vehicles. Many of these hazards may be unexpected. Some possible hazards that motorcyclists should look out for include:
- Rough roadways ”“ Roadways may be rough and bumpy with potholes or other maintenance issues that need to be repaired.
- Loose gravel ”“ Loose gravel can cause a motorcycle to lose traction and knock a biker off balance.
- Edge breaks ”“ The sides of the road may be uneven.
- Slippery surfaces ”“ Oil, wet leaves and other slippery items may be on the roadway.
- Ice and standing water ”“ Ice, snow and standing water can also cause the roadway to become slippery. Riding through standing water can make the tires of a motorcycle hydroplane.
- Railway crossings ”“ Railway crossings can also pose a danger to motorcyclists. The tires can get stuck on the track and cause an accident.
- Road debris ”“ Tire treads, trash and other debris may be on the roadway and may pose a danger to motorcyclists. Debris can hit and seriously harm the biker.
How to Avoid Road Hazards
Motorcyclists can potentially avoid these road hazards, but this requires looking out for hazards and knowing how to properly handle the motorcycle to avoid a crash. Some steps that motorcyclists can take in certain situations include the following:
- Slow down ”“ If surfaces are slippery from rain, snow, ice, sand or gravel, motorcyclists should first reduce their speed because it will take longer to stop. Bikers should pay close attention to the surfaces. They must avoid sudden moves, which can become exaggerated and cause the biker to lose balance. Instead, bikers must make gradual and deliberate movements to keep the surface steady. Bikers should avoid areas on the road where slippery substances build up. When braking, bikers need to apply both brakes slowly.
- React quickly ”“ If a biker sees a hazard in the path ahead, the biker may need to make a quick maneuver to avoid it. He or she should lean quickly in the direction he or she wants to turn and press on the inside of the hand grip that is on the same side of the movement. This maneuver can help a biker maintain balance.
- Avoid distractions ”“ It is more difficult for motorcyclists to see hazards in the nighttime. They must keep their eyes on the road at all times. It is especially important to avoid dangerous distractions like texting and driving. Headlights should be turned on.
- Check the weather ”“ Strong winds can knock a motorist off balance. Motorcyclists should check the weather before heading out. Certain areas are particularly dangerous, including bridges, coastal areas and gaps between buildings. Motorcyclists should ride on the side of the lane that gives them the most space to maneuver and try to stay as upright as possible. They should steer into the wind while trying to maintain balance.
Since motorcyclists must often react quickly to possible hazards, it is important that they pull back and leave enough space between them and other motorists. They should leave at least three seconds between them and the next vehicle. They can determine the distance by fixing on a stationary object and counting how many seconds it takes the vehicle in front of them and the motorcyclist to get there.
Contact One of Our Phoenix Attorneys Today
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident and would like to learn about your options for recovery, an experienced personal injury lawyer in Phoenix can help. At Phillips Law Group, we can discuss your rights and whether you may be able to hold another party liable for your medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, and pain and suffering.
We offer a free consultation so that you can learn about your rights and we can analyze your case to determine if you have a viable claim. We work on a contingency fee basis, so there is no fee unless we successfully recover compensation for your claim.
Call 1-800-706-3000 or fill out ourFree Case Evaluation formtoday.
Free Case Evaluation
Your message has been sent
Thank you for your message, we will get back to you soon.
I’ve been working at Phillips Law Group for nearly four years and I can confidently say this is the best personal injury firm in Arizona to work for. The firm is the best for numerous reasons but to start, Phillips Law Group gives employees opportunities for promotions and growth. I started working within the settlement department, moved to a paralegal assistant and grew to be a pre-litigation paralegal with my own case load. Each attorney I have worked for is extremely knowledgeable, friendly, and easy to talk to. Secondly, I love how Phillips Law shows appreciation for employees. They host Friday Zoom Huddles giving out PTO, goodie bags, special shout outs, bonuses and gift cards. They also host extravagant holiday parties and fun contests during the Holidays! Lastly, the firm cares about giving back to the community, which is a trait I value as well. It’s rewarding to see a fast paced firm taking time out of their busy day to pay it forward. I would highly recommend working at Phillips Law Group!
Working at Phillips Law Group has been a blessing from the beginning for me and I am extremely thankful to work for a firm that values their employees so much. Here I believe we are a huge family of hard working people that can bring a sense of comfort to our client’s lives in times of hardships, stress and chaos. From intake to Settlement we strive to provide the best customer care to all of our wonderful clients. With a 4.8 rating and over 1100+ star reviews on Google no surprise our firm is extremely well known for the quality of work we do!! #teamPLG!!
Kathy Hudson and Donato Giovanatto. Continues to go above and beyond the call of duty. Reaching out to the insurance company about the damage to the vehicle. Forcing them to take responsibility.
I was recently served court documents that I was being sued from an accident that happened years ago. For someone who has never been through something like this and not familiar with the court lingo or where to even begin, it was very frustrating and stressful. I reached out to a family member who knew Tracy Laskos and the great reputation of Phillips Law Group and within the hours of the initial call for help, I had a direct number to Lead Attorney Nassar. Nassar heard my case and almost instantly put me at ease by explaining the process and how easy it was to handle. Nassar spoke to me like he was a friend, not like I was a client. I am so grateful to Tracy, Nasar and of course my cousin Stephanie for helping out and giving me the direction that I needed to get through this situation. I plan on referring my friends, family and patients that are in need of a personal injury Attorney to Phillips Law Group. Thank you!!
I enjoy my work day here at Phillips Law Group and generally speaking I love my clients. Every day brings a new client or task to keep me on my toes. Administration keeps open communication and is hilarious most of the time! I love the way we celebrate FRIDAY, holidays and birthdays and how everything is so competitive. All in all I’m so fortunate to be here and I enjoy what I do.
Sophia H is a pleasure to work with! Thanks for all you do.
Phillips law group is a great firm! Caroline is great.
Phillips Law Group provides a collaborative environment in which both attorneys and staff work together to achieve the best outcome for clients. As an attorney here at PLG, I’m lucky to be surrounded by seasoned attorneys and knowledgeable staff that share my enthusiasm for helping accident victims. The team here at PLG treats clients with respect and empathy while fighting hard to get the results they deserve.
I would like to thank Vanessa Rodriguez for helping me with my case because I was in total shock about the accident. She had listened to all my concerns and had answered every question I had . She was great !!!
Jasmine Delgado is an amazing paralegal. She was patient, kind and extremely knowledgeable. Highly recommend Phillips law group