Disability Benefit Qualifications for Car Accidents
- Home / Social Security Disability /
- Disability Benefit Qualifications for Car Accidents
July 20, 2018
If you have been injured as result of a car accident, you may qualify to obtain Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits to help cover expenses for your injuries.
Our Phoenix Social Security Disability lawyerscan help you pursue benefits from the Social Security Administration (SSA) if you have become disabled after a car crash.
Contact us today for a free, no obligation consultation.
SSA Requirements for Disability
The SSA has specific requirements you must meet in order to qualify for benefits:
- Your condition must be severe and greatly limit your ability to perform basic work tasks such as sitting, walking, lifting, standing and remembering information.
- Your disability must significantly affect (or be expected to affect) your ability to do work for at least 12 months or result in your death.
- Your disability must be found in the SSA’s list of disabling conditions. However, if your condition is not on the list, you may still qualify for benefits if the SSA determines you are disabled.
- Your medical impairment must prevent you from doing any work you have done in the past or any other type of work. The SSA will determine residual functional capacity (RFC) to decide whether or not there is any sort of work you could still perform such as simple, unskilled jobs.
In addition to these criteria, you must also have earned enough Social Security work credits from previous wages or self-employment income. The number of credits required to be eligible for SSDI depends on your age at the time you become disabled.
In most cases, you will need 40 credits to be eligible for benefits. Twenty of these credits must have been earned in the past 10 years, ending with the year your disability started. If you are younger with less work experience, you may be able to qualify for SSDI with fewer work credits due to age.
Injuries That May Qualify for SSDI Benefits
If you suffer from any of the following car accident injuries, you may qualify for SSDI benefits:
- Whiplash: You may be eligible for SSDI benefits if you have suffered whiplash in a car accident and your MRI shows visible neck and/or spinal injuries.
- Broken bones: If a broken bone prevents you from performing your job duties, you may be eligible for SSDI benefits.
- Burns:Burns from a car accident can prevent you from moving body parts and limit their function.
- Back injuries: New or worsening of existing back injuries caused by an accident may make you eligible for benefits. These include nerve root compression, lumbar spinal stenosis and spinal cord injuries.
- Gastrointestinal bleeding: Severe bleeding in the esophagus, intestines or stomach requiring multiple blood transfusions may qualify for SSDI benefits.
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI): A TBI can limit your ability to complete work-related tasks and job functions, which may qualify you for SSDI benefits.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD): PTSD can cause long lasting effects that prevent you from working. With a proper diagnosis made by a psychiatrist, you may qualify for benefits.
- Anxiety or depression: If anxiety, depression or other mental health issues resulting from your accident prevent you from working, you may be eligible for benefits.
- Multiple injuries: If you have suffered from multiple injuries that greatly prevent or inhibit your ability to do your job, you may qualify for SSDI.
Get Legal Help Today
If your car accident injuries have caused you to suffer a disability, you may be eligible for SSDI benefits that will help cover your expenses. Our Social Security Disability attorneys at Phillips Law Group are here to assist you in filing for benefits with the SSA and supporting your claim.
Request a free, no obligation consultation today and learn how we can help. Our firm charges no upfront fees and are only paid if we help recover fair compensation for you.
Call 1-800-706-3000 or fill out ourFree Case Evaluation formnow.
Free Case Evaluation
Your message has been sent
Thank you for your message, we will get back to you soon.
I’ve been working at Phillips Law Group for nearly four years and I can confidently say this is the best personal injury firm in Arizona to work for. The firm is the best for numerous reasons but to start, Phillips Law Group gives employees opportunities for promotions and growth. I started working within the settlement department, moved to a paralegal assistant and grew to be a pre-litigation paralegal with my own case load. Each attorney I have worked for is extremely knowledgeable, friendly, and easy to talk to. Secondly, I love how Phillips Law shows appreciation for employees. They host Friday Zoom Huddles giving out PTO, goodie bags, special shout outs, bonuses and gift cards. They also host extravagant holiday parties and fun contests during the Holidays! Lastly, the firm cares about giving back to the community, which is a trait I value as well. It’s rewarding to see a fast paced firm taking time out of their busy day to pay it forward. I would highly recommend working at Phillips Law Group!
I was recently served court documents that I was being sued from an accident that happened years ago. For someone who has never been through something like this and not familiar with the court lingo or where to even begin, it was very frustrating and stressful. I reached out to a family member who knew Tracy Laskos and the great reputation of Phillips Law Group and within the hours of the initial call for help, I had a direct number to Lead Attorney Nassar. Nassar heard my case and almost instantly put me at ease by explaining the process and how easy it was to handle. Nassar spoke to me like he was a friend, not like I was a client. I am so grateful to Tracy, Nasar and of course my cousin Stephanie for helping out and giving me the direction that I needed to get through this situation. I plan on referring my friends, family and patients that are in need of a personal injury Attorney to Phillips Law Group. Thank you!!
It’s an Honor and a Privilege to work for a company that cares about its employees and clients for 12 years. I’ve seen Management go out of their way to help someone whether it’s a personal matter or work related. I am also reminded of many occasions where a Client needed urgent help and we as a Team were able to get the person immediate assistance. At Phillips Law we make that happen through Teamwork and a dedication to our profession. I’ve had numerous jobs in several other fields, those were just jobs. This is a home. Many of us have been here for quite a few years, it feels like one large extended family.
Phillips is the best!! Love all that they do to give back to the community and how much they help those who are experiencing homelessness. ❤️
Many companies talk about teamwork but few practice it. Many companies talk about an employee friendly environment but few actually provide it. At Phillips Law Group the foundation of our success is making sure we work as a team and that we work in an environment that allows everyone to thrive and be at their best every day. Our firm understands that in order for the client to have a great experience the people responsible for that client’s case must be given all the necessary tools and encouragement to make that happen. That’s the Phillips Way. As a manager of this firm in charge of several employees as well as directly affecting the client’s experience I take tremendous pride in saying we live by these premises and we work hard to build on them and make them better every day. This is an amazing place because it has amazing people working here!
If you are in need of legal support for a motor vehicle collision of any kind, I highly recommend going to Phillips Law Group Injury Lawyers. Sean Davis has exemplary knowledge and experience in this field, compassion for his clients, and excellent judgment and communication skills.
Two family members were in a bad wreck a couple of years ago, and as a result called Phillips Law to represent them. Montana Thompson was the attorney assigned to the case with the help of Nemo Farr as legal assistant. Mr. Thompson litigated a very generous settlement for both my stepdaughter and her son. Because my grandson is a minor, I decided to act as conservator for him to ensure the settlement was safe and secure. Montana helped with that process, but it was Nemo who went way above and beyond the call in finding a financial institution to use for the restricted account. There were some glitches in that process but Nemo helped navigate them with a calm expertise which belies his age. I would consider them both great representatives of the level of commitment to their clients and assets to their firm.
I would have no hesitation at all recommending Phillips Law Group. In particular, Juan Roque has impressed me with his professionalism, his integrity and his heart for the community!
Sophia H. at Phillips Law Group has been an absolute joy to work with -quick, responsive, and professional in every interaction. Her breadth of knowledge, from administration to IT to finance, is nothing short of impressive.
Phillips Law Group does so much for the community!!! I especially enjoy seeing Juan Roque out there. This gentle giant always has a smile on his face and is a part of a caring and giving team.