Disability Benefit Qualifications for Car Accidents
If you have been injured as result of a car accident, you may qualify to obtain Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits to help cover expenses for your injuries.
Our Phoenix Social Security Disability lawyerscan help you pursue benefits from the Social Security Administration (SSA) if you have become disabled after a car crash.
Contact us today for a free, no obligation consultation.
SSA Requirements for Disability
The SSA has specific requirements you must meet in order to qualify for benefits:
- Your condition must be severe and greatly limit your ability to perform basic work tasks such as sitting, walking, lifting, standing and remembering information.
- Your disability must significantly affect (or be expected to affect) your ability to do work for at least 12 months or result in your death.
- Your disability must be found in the SSA’s list of disabling conditions. However, if your condition is not on the list, you may still qualify for benefits if the SSA determines you are disabled.
- Your medical impairment must prevent you from doing any work you have done in the past or any other type of work. The SSA will determine residual functional capacity (RFC) to decide whether or not there is any sort of work you could still perform such as simple, unskilled jobs.
In addition to these criteria, you must also have earned enough Social Security work credits from previous wages or self-employment income. The number of credits required to be eligible for SSDI depends on your age at the time you become disabled.
In most cases, you will need 40 credits to be eligible for benefits. Twenty of these credits must have been earned in the past 10 years, ending with the year your disability started. If you are younger with less work experience, you may be able to qualify for SSDI with fewer work credits due to age.
Injuries That May Qualify for SSDI Benefits
If you suffer from any of the following car accident injuries, you may qualify for SSDI benefits:
- Whiplash: You may be eligible for SSDI benefits if you have suffered whiplash in a car accident and your MRI shows visible neck and/or spinal injuries.
- Broken bones: If a broken bone prevents you from performing your job duties, you may be eligible for SSDI benefits.
- Burns:Burns from a car accident can prevent you from moving body parts and limit their function.
- Back injuries: New or worsening of existing back injuries caused by an accident may make you eligible for benefits. These include nerve root compression, lumbar spinal stenosis and spinal cord injuries.
- Gastrointestinal bleeding: Severe bleeding in the esophagus, intestines or stomach requiring multiple blood transfusions may qualify for SSDI benefits.
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI): A TBI can limit your ability to complete work-related tasks and job functions, which may qualify you for SSDI benefits.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD): PTSD can cause long lasting effects that prevent you from working. With a proper diagnosis made by a psychiatrist, you may qualify for benefits.
- Anxiety or depression: If anxiety, depression or other mental health issues resulting from your accident prevent you from working, you may be eligible for benefits.
- Multiple injuries: If you have suffered from multiple injuries that greatly prevent or inhibit your ability to do your job, you may qualify for SSDI.
Get Legal Help Today
If your car accident injuries have caused you to suffer a disability, you may be eligible for SSDI benefits that will help cover your expenses. Our Social Security Disability attorneys at Phillips Law Group are here to assist you in filing for benefits with the SSA and supporting your claim.
Request a free, no obligation consultation today and learn how we can help. Our firm charges no upfront fees and are only paid if we help recover fair compensation for you.
My Attorney Sean Davis and his paralegal Hannah Dustin worked on my case. They listened to the problems that I was having with my case and they both got right to work. First they found me a doctor that actually listened to my problems from my car accident and worked quickly to form a plan that was comfortable for me and the doctor. The doctor was the best and after a couple of procedures the pain in my neck was gone. Behind the scenes Sean and Hannah were working hard to get my case settled with the insurance company. They kept in contact with me on all aspects of my case. They settled my case much faster than I expected and for more than I was expecting. If you want two real professional legal people to work on your case, I would highly recommend Sean and Hannah to you. I cannot say enough nice things about these two. Thank you so much, Rickey Hart .
Phillips law group has an amazing staff and i recommend them to everyone.
Phillips law group is the best around!
I was recently served court documents that I was being sued from an accident that happened years ago. For someone who has never been through something like this and not familiar with the court lingo or where to even begin, it was very frustrating and stressful. I reached out to a family member who knew Tracy Laskos and the great reputation of Phillips Law Group and within the hours of the initial call for help, I had a direct number to Lead Attorney Nassar. Nassar heard my case and almost instantly put me at ease by explaining the process and how easy it was to handle. Nassar spoke to me like he was a friend, not like I was a client. I am so grateful to Tracy, Nasar and of course my cousin Stephanie for helping out and giving me the direction that I needed to get through this situation. I plan on referring my friends, family and patients that are in need of a personal injury Attorney to Phillips Law Group. Thank you!!
Sophia H. at Phillips Law Group has been an absolute joy to work with -quick, responsive, and professional in every interaction. Her breadth of knowledge, from administration to IT to finance, is nothing short of impressive.
Sophia H is very helpful.
Phillips Law Group has a proven track record of success. Juan Roque, in particular, is integral to that. He works with integrity, compassion, and an undefeated optimism that makes him a valuable asset.
Definitely recommend! Awesome
I want to thank attorneys Tim and Robert and the paralegal Bethany for all they had done on my case. They were all empathetic, knowledgeable and professional. All my questions were answered, emails returned in a timely matter, and promises fulfilled. I recommend Phillips Law Group if you need help with your injury case.
If you are in need of legal support for a motor vehicle collision of any kind, I highly recommend going to Phillips Law Group Injury Lawyers. Sean Davis has exemplary knowledge and experience in this field, compassion for his clients, and excellent judgment and communication skills.