Phoenix’s Most Dangerous Roads for Pedestrians
- Home / Personal Injury /
- Phoenix’s Most Dangerous Roads for Pedestrians
March 12, 2019
The Arizona Department of Transportation has released its latest Pedestrian Action Safety Plan, which compiles statistics about pedestrian accidents that occur in the state. It reports that a higher number of pedestrians are killed in motor vehicle crashes in Phoenix when pedestrians attempt to cross interstate highways and interchanges. Below, we discuss some of these dangerous roads and what you can do to exercise reasonable care and improve your chances of avoiding a pedestrian-related accident.
The Glendale injury attorneys at Phillips Law Group are committed to protecting the rights of accident victims and holding any negligent party accountable for their actions. We offer a free consultation where we can review your case, discuss your rights and your options for recovering compensation for your injuries.
High Pedestrian Crash Locations
Some of the most dangerous locations with a high crash risk for pedestrians include:
- Greenway Road/I-17
- 7th Avenue/I-10 Interchange
- Cactus Road/I-17 Interchange
- 32nd St/SR 202 Interchange
- Bethany Home Road/I-17 Interchange
- Camelback Road/I-17 Interchange
- Dunlap Avenue/I-17 Interchange
- Indian School Road/I-17 Interchange
- I-17/Bethany Home Road
- I-17/Northern Avenue
- I-10/67th Avenue
- I-10/Dysart Road
- I-17/Glendale Avenue
- I-17/Indian School Road
- I-17/Thomas Road
Main Causes of Pedestrian Crashes
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that more than 5,000 pedestrians are killed in motor vehicle accidents every year. Pedestrian accidents are often caused by the negligent actions of drivers. Drivers are required to exercise reasonable care when driving.
Some of the main causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Impaired driving
- Disobeying traffic signs or signals
- Not keeping a lookout for pedestrians on the roadway
- Failing to yield the pedestrian’s right of way
- Failing to signal while turning
Pedestrians may also contribute to these accidents, such as:
- Walking while in an impaired state
- Crossing the street without using the crosswalk
- Darting in front of traffic
- Listening to music or performing other distracting activities
Even if pedestrians may increase the risk of an accident, drivers must be extra vigilant when pedestrians are present to avoid a fatal or serious injury.
Ways to Avoid a Pedestrian Accident
Pedestrians and drivers alike can take steps to decrease the likelihood of being involved in an accident.
Tips for Pedestrians
Some ways that pedestrians can avoid pedestrian accidents include the following:
- Increase their visibility by wearing reflective clothing or carrying a flashlight at night
- Walk on the shoulder facing traffic when there is no sidewalk available
- Cross the street at a designated crosswalk or intersection
- Walk only when the “walk” signal illuminates
- Look for cars in all directions before crossing, even if there is a “walk” signal
- If a crosswalk is not available, pedestrians should only cross in a well-lit area and during a gap in traffic
- Avoid darting in front of vehicles or disrupting traffic
- Avoid using music or electronic devices to avoid being distracted
- Avoid drinking or doing drugs while walking
- Make eye contact with drivers before crossing the street in front of them
Tips for Drivers
Some ways that drivers can reduce the possibility of a pedestrian accident include:
- Look out for pedestrians at all times
- Yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk
- Do not pass vehicles in a crosswalk
- Slow down when approaching a crosswalk
- Be particularly cautious when driving in conditions that affect visibility, such as bad weather or during nighttime
- Follow the posted speed limit
- Do not drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Avoid distractions, like using a cell phone or eating while driving
Schedule a Free Consultation to Get Started
Arizona is among one of the deadliest states for pedestrians. If you were injured in a pedestrian-related accident, it is important that you have a strong legal advocate on your side. These accidents often result in serious, life-altering injuries. They often involve the need for ongoing medical treatment, which can be expensive. One of our skilled lawyers at Phillips Law Group can help you pursue maximum compensation on your claim.
We are available to advise you of your rights during a free consultation. There are no upfront costs or fees involved for our services unless you recover favorable compensation.
Contact us today at 1-800-706-3000 to get started.
Free Case Evaluation
Your message has been sent
Thank you for your message, we will get back to you soon.
I didn’t know anything about the area, and Phillips Law Group just took care of everything. They helped made sure I knew where I was going, made sure I didn’t have to worry. They literally just took care of me.
Jeffrey Phillips is truly a brilliant attorney and businessman. I would not hesitate for a moment to contact him if I needed a personal injury attorney in Arizona, you would be fortunate to have him and his team. If you have a car accident, slip and fall in a store, or get punched in the face, call Phillips.
Liz was great
Jon Jamieson was amazing to work with . He came through with all of his promises.
I want to thank attorneys Tim and Robert and the paralegal Bethany for all they had done on my case. They were all empathetic, knowledgeable and professional. All my questions were answered, emails returned in a timely matter, and promises fulfilled. I recommend Phillips Law Group if you need help with your injury case.
Liz Gonzales was great!!!!
Although my accident was fortunately not a major one, The Phillips Law Group AZ treated it as such. Their staff, specifically Mr Juan Roque was very professional, courteous and most importantly very informative. Mr Roque's attentive service was phenomenal and I highly recommend this firm!
Jasmine helped me so so much I want to thank her ! And also Aaron , i was always scared after an accident , knowing I would have to deal with lawyers but not here . Luckily I’ve only been in 3 accidents but this time it was fast and easy . And i received all the treatments I needed to help me recover ! Thank you Jasmine and Aaron!
The lawyers here are of top quality. Especially Trey Dayes, who was always respectful and hard-working.
PLG is the best! Highly recommend. Love that they do so much to help the community.