Tips to Help Prevent a Blind Spot Motorcycle Accident
February 25, 2019
Blind spots are particularly dangerous for motorcyclists because their bikes are much smaller than passenger cars and are more difficult to see. When a motorist is unable to see a motorcyclist in his or her blind spot, a collision can occur, which can cause potentially life-threatening injuries to the rider.
Our experienced Phoenix motorcycle accident lawyers at Phillips Law Group want you to be safe on the road and avoid blind spot motorcycle accidents. We have prepared the following safety tips to help you stay prepared and avoid these types of collisions. If you have been injured in a blind spot motorcycle accident, we are ready to help you with a legal claim against the negligent party.
How to Identify Blind Spots
Blind spots are those areas around a vehicle where the driver or rider cannot directly see. All vehicles have blind spots, including motorcycles. Blind spots are even bigger for larger vehicles. A driver who tries to turn or change lanes directly into the path of a motorcyclist may lead to a serious accident.
Common areas for blind spots include:
- The area between what you see when looking forward and what is in your rearview mirror
- The area that is hidden from view because of your vehicle’s bodywork when looking in your mirrors
Different vehicles may have different blind spots based on their design, such as blind spots caused by window pillars or head restraints.
Reducing the Risk of a Blind Spot Motorcycle Accidents
Motorists and motorcyclists can help reduce the risk of a blind spot accident by following a few important safety measures.
Tips for Motorists
Drivers must exercise a high-level of care to prevent blind spot accidents. This includes:
- Properly adjusting your rearview mirror so the rear window is totally framed and adjusting the sideview mirrors so that they point toward the blind spot
- Looking over your shoulder before changing lanes or merging with traffic
- Using your blinker so that other motorists can anticipate your actions
- Staying alert and aware of other motorists and motorcyclists that travel in your blind spot
Tips for Motorcyclists
Although all drivers have the requirement to be cautious, riders must take extra steps to ensure their own safety. If a motorcyclist is involved in an accident, the likelihood is that his or her injuries will be more serious. Some ways that motorcyclists can reduce the likelihood of being involved in a blind spot accident include:
- Avoid riding in blind spots ”“ This is the best way to avoid a blind spot accident. Ride in front or behind a vehicle, rather than to the side of the vehicle. A motorists’ blind spots include to the left and right rear of a vehicle. Try to stay out of these locations as much as possible.
- Drive defensively ”“ Constantly scan the area in front of you, back off to give yourself some extra space and try to anticipate the actions of other motorists.
- Back off ”“ Leave at least 20 feet between you and other motorists so that you have time to react.
- Wear brightly colored clothing ”“ Make yourself more visible by wearing brightly colored or fluorescent clothing.
- Keep headlights on ”“ Improve visibility by using your headlights, even when it is daytime and sunny.
- Pass a vehicle quickly ”“ If you have to pass, do so quickly so that you are in a blind spot for as little time as possible.
Contact a Reputable Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Even if you ride safely and employ the best safety practices on the road, other motorists may negligently cause a motorcycle crash. If you are injured in a blind spot-related accident, contact a reputable motorcycle accident attorney at Phillips Law Group for legal representation.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation. We can explain your rights and your legal options for recovery. We also work on a contingency fee basis, so you are charged nothing unless we successfully recover compensation on your behalf.
Free Case Evaluation
Your message has been sent
Thank you for your message, we will get back to you soon.
- Auto Accidents
- Business Litigation
- Class Action Lawsuits
- Defective Drug
- Defective Products
- Employee Rights
- Employment Law
- Firm News
- Medical Malpractice
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Nursing Home Abuse
- Pedestrian Accident
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Slip and Fall
- Social Security Disability
- Workers' Compensation
- Wrongful Death
Juan Roque has been integral with my legal needs. Communication has been easy. He conveys information I can easily understand without a lot of "Legal Fluff" jargon. I will certainly do business with Phillips Legal team again and refer them to my friends and family.
Phillips is the best!! Love all that they do to give back to the community and how much they help those who are experiencing homelessness. ❤️
Phillips Law Group provides a collaborative environment in which both attorneys and staff work together to achieve the best outcome for clients. As an attorney here at PLG, I’m lucky to be surrounded by seasoned attorneys and knowledgeable staff that share my enthusiasm for helping accident victims. The team here at PLG treats clients with respect and empathy while fighting hard to get the results they deserve.
A friend of mine recommended Phillips Law and I’m so grateful, because they were so wonderful, so down to earth, so professional. I felt like they were family.
I want to thank attorneys Tim and Robert and the paralegal Bethany for all they had done on my case. They were all empathetic, knowledgeable and professional. All my questions were answered, emails returned in a timely matter, and promises fulfilled. I recommend Phillips Law Group if you need help with your injury case.
Working at Phillips Law Group has been a blessing from the beginning for me and I am extremely thankful to work for a firm that values their employees so much. Here I believe we are a huge family of hard working people that can bring a sense of comfort to our client’s lives in times of hardships, stress and chaos. From intake to Settlement we strive to provide the best customer care to all of our wonderful clients. With a 4.8 rating and over 1100+ star reviews on Google no surprise our firm is extremely well known for the quality of work we do!! #teamPLG!!
Phillips Law Group does so much for the community!!! I especially enjoy seeing Juan Roque out there. This gentle giant always has a smile on his face and is a part of a caring and giving team.
The lawyers here are of top quality. Especially Trey Dayes, who was always respectful and hard-working.
Jon Jamieson was amazing to work with . He came through with all of his promises.
Jasmine , did a great job . Highly recommend!!!!!