Report: Arizona Second Deadliest State for Pedestrians
March 6, 2019
Pedestrians do not have the same protection as those in a motor vehicle when involved in an accident. Vehicle versus pedestrian collisions often result in severe or deadly injuries for the pedestrian.
According to a new report released by the Governors Highway Safety Association, pedestrian deaths have increased by 35 percent in the last decade. The report estimates that more than 6,200 pedestrians were killed in motor vehicle accidents in 2018. This is a four percent increase from the previous year, making it the highest number of pedestrian fatalities in the country since 1990.
Arizona has also been ranked the second deadliest state for pedestrians per capita. The state’s pedestrian fatality rate was 1.74 per 100,000 population in 2018.
The report offers a firsthand look at state and national trends in 2018 pedestrian fatalities based on preliminary data provided by State Highway Safety Offices in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. In addition to the number of pedestrian fatalities, the report examines several reasons for the increase in pedestrian deaths as well as comprehensive strategies to reduce pedestrian and motor vehicle crashes.
Latest Findings on Pedestrian Accidents
The latest findings compare pedestrian traffic fatalities between January and June of 2018 to the same period during 2017. The following statistics detail pedestrian-related accidents across Arizona:
- 125 pedestrians were killed by motorists in the state during the first half of 2018 compared to 112 pedestrian deaths in the first half of 2017, resulting in an increase of 13 fatalities.
- Arizona has the fifth-highest number of pedestrian fatalities in 2018 out of all 50 states.
- Arizona is among seven states projected to have over 100 pedestrian deaths for the report period. The previous year, only five states had pedestrian fatality counts over 100.
- Arizona is also among five states that account for nearly half of all pedestrian deaths.
Recent Pedestrian-Related Crashes
The city of Phoenix has seen an increase in pedestrian-related accidents within the last month:
- A 25-year-old pedestrian was killed and three other pedestrians were injured in an accident near 7th Avenue and Camelback Road. The accident occurred around 2:30 a.m. and the driver fled the scene.
- A 37-year-old pedestrian was killed in an accident at the intersection of 27th Avenue and McDowell Road at approximately 3 a.m. Police do not believe impairment was a factor in this fatal accident.
- An 18-year-old pedestrian was killed at approximately 4 a.m. in an accident at the intersection of Butler Drive and Seventh Street. Police do not believe speed or impairment were factors in the fatality.
How Arizona is Addressing Pedestrian Safety
The Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) has published a Pedestrian Safety Action Plandiscussing measures that the department will take to improve pedestrian safety throughout the state. These objectives include:
- Widening roadway shoulders in both rural and suburban areas with no sidewalks where there is a history of crashes involving pedestrians walking along the road. The report recommends a shoulder width of four to five feet to add more separation between pedestrians and motorists.
- Adding roadway and intersection lighting in areas where a large number of nighttime pedestrian accidents have occurred and in areas where pedestrians are likely to be after dark.
- Improving traffic signals across the state. Timing operations and signal phasing are to be evaluated to determine if any pedestrian safety issues exist.
- Installation of crossing treatments to enhance pedestrian crossings, such as:
- In-roadway gateway signs
- Two-stage crosswalks
- Pedestrian hybrid beacons
- Rapid flashing beacons
- Traffic signals
- Installation of sidewalks in developed areas where no continuous sidewalk systems exist or where current sidewalks are not continuous. Non-continuous sidewalks have the potential for pedestrians crossing in the middle of a block rather than at a crossing signal. No sidewalks increases the likelihood of pedestrians walking in the street.
Contact an Attorney for Legal Help Now
If you were injured in a pedestrian accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. The personal injury attorneys in our Phoenix office will fight to secure the maximum compensation you deserve.
Request a free, no obligation consultation today so we can review your claim and discuss your legal options. We charge no upfront fees and you only pay us if we recover compensation for you.
Free Case Evaluation
Your message has been sent
Thank you for your message, we will get back to you soon.
- Auto Accidents
- Business Litigation
- Class Action Lawsuits
- Defective Drug
- Defective Products
- Employee Rights
- Employment Law
- Firm News
- Medical Malpractice
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Nursing Home Abuse
- Pedestrian Accident
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Slip and Fall
- Social Security Disability
- Workers' Compensation
- Wrongful Death
Many companies talk about teamwork but few practice it. Many companies talk about an employee friendly environment but few actually provide it. At Phillips Law Group the foundation of our success is making sure we work as a team and that we work in an environment that allows everyone to thrive and be at their best every day. Our firm understands that in order for the client to have a great experience the people responsible for that client’s case must be given all the necessary tools and encouragement to make that happen. That’s the Phillips Way. As a manager of this firm in charge of several employees as well as directly affecting the client’s experience I take tremendous pride in saying we live by these premises and we work hard to build on them and make them better every day. This is an amazing place because it has amazing people working here!
I was recently served court documents that I was being sued from an accident that happened years ago. For someone who has never been through something like this and not familiar with the court lingo or where to even begin, it was very frustrating and stressful. I reached out to a family member who knew Tracy Laskos and the great reputation of Phillips Law Group and within the hours of the initial call for help, I had a direct number to Lead Attorney Nassar. Nassar heard my case and almost instantly put me at ease by explaining the process and how easy it was to handle. Nassar spoke to me like he was a friend, not like I was a client. I am so grateful to Tracy, Nasar and of course my cousin Stephanie for helping out and giving me the direction that I needed to get through this situation. I plan on referring my friends, family and patients that are in need of a personal injury Attorney to Phillips Law Group. Thank you!!
It’s an Honor and a Privilege to work for a company that cares about its employees and clients for 12 years. I’ve seen Management go out of their way to help someone whether it’s a personal matter or work related. I am also reminded of many occasions where a Client needed urgent help and we as a Team were able to get the person immediate assistance. At Phillips Law we make that happen through Teamwork and a dedication to our profession. I’ve had numerous jobs in several other fields, those were just jobs. This is a home. Many of us have been here for quite a few years, it feels like one large extended family.
Working at Phillips Law Group has been a blessing from the beginning for me and I am extremely thankful to work for a firm that values their employees so much. Here I believe we are a huge family of hard working people that can bring a sense of comfort to our client’s lives in times of hardships, stress and chaos. From intake to Settlement we strive to provide the best customer care to all of our wonderful clients. With a 4.8 rating and over 1100+ star reviews on Google no surprise our firm is extremely well known for the quality of work we do!! #teamPLG!!
I didn’t know anything about the area, and Phillips Law Group just took care of everything. They helped made sure I knew where I was going, made sure I didn’t have to worry. They literally just took care of me.
Jasmine , did a great job . Highly recommend!!!!!
Phillips Law Group is a company that has taught me so many things. Here your work, your dedication, effort and discipline are valued, in addition to the fact that, as a woman, as an immigrant and as a human being, I have been given value and empowerment. We are a successful law firm because all workers feel part of a great family. I am very proud and honored to work at Phillips Law Group.
They knew exactly how to explain the case to me in a way that I would understand it. They gave me hope that my life wasn’t over.
Phillips law group is a great firm! Caroline is great.
Great company and awesome service. Thanks Caroline fabos. Kudos to all.