How Is Fault Determined in a Multi-Vehicle Car Accident?
- Home / Auto Accidents /
- How Is Fault Determined in a Multi-Vehicle Car Accident?
When a multi-car accident happens, it can be difficult to know who should be held liable. Determining the at-fault party is done by investigating the circumstances of the collision through eyewitness accounts, traffic camera footage, or other evidence. Once fault is determined, the liable driver or drivers may be required to pay for damages incurred by the other involved parties.
Multiple-car accidents can be incredibly confusing and make it difficult to determine who is truly at fault. Thus, it is vital to speak to an experienced personal injury lawyer who can help you navigate the complex process of determining fault and getting the compensation you deserve.
If you have been involved in a multi-car accident, do not try to face the legal system on your own. The experienced personal injury lawyers at Phillips Law Group are ready to help you. We can review your case and answer any questions you have about your legal options. To schedule a free consultation, complete the online contact form or call us today at 866-909-6894.
Why Do Multi-Vehicle Car Accidents Happen?
With so many cars on the road, it is not uncommon for collisions to involve more than two vehicles. The United States Department of Transportation reported an estimated 145,069 accidents involving more than two vehicles in the year 2020 which resulted in both fatalities and injuries. In that same year, an estimated 151,447 multi-car incidents resulted in property damage only.
These types of accidents can happen for a variety of reasons, such as one driver failing to pay attention to the road, or weather conditions. In some circumstances, more than one driver can be held liable and share responsibility for the collision.
The following are some of the most common factors that contribute to multi-vehicle accidents:
- Speeding: Exceeding the posted speed limit or driving too fast for road or weather conditions
- Distractions: Texting, talking on the phone, eating, drinking, and other distractions can divide a driver’s attention
- Poor weather conditions: Inclement weather can make it more difficult to see and be seen by other drivers
- Reckless driving: Aggressive driving behaviors such as tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, and making unsafe lane changes increase the chances of an accident
- Intoxication: Drunk or drugged driving is one of the most dangerous things a person can do on the road and is a major contributor to many collisions
It is important to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney who can help you assess your legal options and determine who may be held liable for your damages.
Who Determines Fault in a Multi-Vehicle Car Accident?
In most cases, the police will interview any witnesses at the scene to try and piece together what happened. Eyewitness accounts can be important in determining who is at fault in a multi-vehicle car accident.
When speaking with the police, you should be as detailed as possible in your account of what happened. Try to remember any specific details about the vehicles involved, how the accident unfolded, and anything else that might be relevant.
Insurance companies may hire investigators to determine fault. Insurance companies will investigate the collision to determine who is responsible using a combination of police reports, witness statements, and other evidence to determine who is at fault in a car accident.
However, determining the liable party is not always straightforward, and the process can be complicated. You could mistakenly be found to be at fault for an accident and held accountable for the damages to all drivers and property involved in the collision.
After your accident, contact Phillips Law Group as soon as possible to ensure you are not mistakenly accused of liability. Our personal injury attorneys can guide you through the claims process and negotiate with the insurance companies for a proper settlement.
What to Do After a Multi-Vehicle Car Accident
If you are involved in a multi-vehicle car accident, here are several steps you should take to ensure your safety and protect your legal rights:
- Move your vehicle to the side of the road so that you are not blocking traffic if it is safe to do so. Turn on your hazard lights to warn other drivers of the accident. If you cannot move your vehicle, do not try to do so. It is important to stay in your vehicle until help arrives.
- Check yourself and all passengers in your vehicle for injuries. If anyone is injured, call 911 immediately and request medical assistance.
- Seek medical help as soon as possible after a car accident. Adrenaline can mask pain and other symptoms of injuries, so it is important to get a medical evaluation as soon as possible.
- Exchange information with the other driver or drivers involved in the accident. Get the names of all involved drivers as well as contact information, insurance information, and license plate numbers. Do not discuss the collision with the other drivers; save that conversation for your lawyer.
- Call the police and file a report. Even if the property damage appears to be minor, it is important to have a police report on file.
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident. These pictures will be helpful when filing an insurance claim or personal. Take photos of the damage to all of the vehicles involved as well as any skid marks or debris on the road and any visible injuries.
- Talk to witnesses. If there were people who saw the collision happen, get their contact information so you can follow up with them later.
- Consult with a car accident lawyer. To protect your interests, you must speak with an attorney before contacting the insurance companies. Insurance companies are known for offering quick and unfair settlements, but the personal injury attorneys of Phillips Law Group can guide you through the claims process.
Phillips Law Group Can Help After a Multi-Car Accident
If you have been injured in a multi-vehicle car accident, contact Phillips & Associates today to schedule a free consultation. Determining fault in a multi-vehicle collision can be complicated, but our experienced personal injury attorneys can help. We can investigate the collision and gather evidence to build a strong case on your behalf.
We understand that dealing with the aftermath of a car accident can be overwhelming, but you don’t have to go through it alone. If we take your case, our knowledgeable and compassionate team will work tirelessly to get you the compensation you deserve so that you can focus on healing and move forward.
Our experienced trial lawyers are dedicated to fighting for the rights of victims and their families. We have recovered billions of dollars for our clients and are here to help you, too. If you or someone you love has been involved in a car accident, we can help you get the compensation you deserve.
Contact us today for a free consultation by completing the online contact form or call us today at 866-909-6894. Our representatives are standing by 24/7 to take your call.
Free Case Evaluation
Your message has been sent
Thank you for your message, we will get back to you soon.
Sophia H. at Phillips Law Group has been an absolute joy to work with -quick, responsive, and professional in every interaction. Her breadth of knowledge, from administration to IT to finance, is nothing short of impressive.
I didn’t know anything about the area, and Phillips Law Group just took care of everything. They helped made sure I knew where I was going, made sure I didn’t have to worry. They literally just took care of me.
My Attorney Sean Davis and his paralegal Hannah Dustin worked on my case. They listened to the problems that I was having with my case and they both got right to work. First they found me a doctor that actually listened to my problems from my car accident and worked quickly to form a plan that was comfortable for me and the doctor. The doctor was the best and after a couple of procedures the pain in my neck was gone. Behind the scenes Sean and Hannah were working hard to get my case settled with the insurance company. They kept in contact with me on all aspects of my case. They settled my case much faster than I expected and for more than I was expecting. If you want two real professional legal people to work on your case, I would highly recommend Sean and Hannah to you. I cannot say enough nice things about these two. Thank you so much, Rickey Hart .
Working at Phillips Law Group has been a blessing from the beginning for me and I am extremely thankful to work for a firm that values their employees so much. Here I believe we are a huge family of hard working people that can bring a sense of comfort to our client’s lives in times of hardships, stress and chaos. From intake to Settlement we strive to provide the best customer care to all of our wonderful clients. With a 4.8 rating and over 1100+ star reviews on Google no surprise our firm is extremely well known for the quality of work we do!! #teamPLG!!
My paralegal , Caroline , was on top of her game - very responsive and always answered any questions I had and in a timely manner . My attorney Rob ,was the best attorney I ever had . He explained everything in great detail and had a great sense or humor . He really knows how to bring light To tough , unfortunate situations - I would absolutely recommend them at anyone -
Jasmine helped me so so much I want to thank her ! And also Aaron , i was always scared after an accident , knowing I would have to deal with lawyers but not here . Luckily I’ve only been in 3 accidents but this time it was fast and easy . And i received all the treatments I needed to help me recover ! Thank you Jasmine and Aaron!
Phillips Law Group has a proven track record of success. Juan Roque, in particular, is integral to that. He works with integrity, compassion, and an undefeated optimism that makes him a valuable asset.
Positive: Professionalism, Quality, Responsiveness, Value As someone who is familiar with the inner workings of the auto insurance industry I can whole heartedly endorse Steven J. Jones and Phillips law group as someone I would want on my side should litigation take place. They handled my case professionally, honestly, and with satisfactory results which I would not have expected without enlisting their help.
Jasmine , did a great job . Highly recommend!!!!!
Kathy Hudson and Donato Giovanatto. Continues to go above and beyond the call of duty. Reaching out to the insurance company about the damage to the vehicle. Forcing them to take responsibility.