Free Consultation
No Fees Unless You Collect
Se Habla Español

Powdered Alcohol Is Being Legalized

Posted on behalf of Phillips Law Group on Apr 07, 2015 in Local

Powdered Alcohol ImageJust add water and stir. Powdered alcohol is stirring up some mixed emotions. Some people feel the product is ingenious, others say it's irresponsible.

Palcohol is the brand name for a new product: powdered alcohol. The product is marketed as an ounce of rum or vodka in powdered form, which is then added to water. Several flavors are planned including cosmopolitan, mojito, margarita or lemon drop cocktail.

According to the creator, convenience is what led the Phoenix-based company to come up with the product. He sees his mix-with-water cocktails as a niche product for adults who hike and lead active lives.

However, critics see another worrisome way for partygoers to get a quick buzz. They worry the product has an extremely high potential for abuse and will increase underage drinking. For example, you can put it in food. If youre at a restaurant and you walk away, someone could put it in your water. Lawmakers are also concerned consumers will snort the substance or spike an unsuspecting persons drink.

Studies show alcohol is the number one drug of choice for teens and the number one date-rape drug. Safety advocacy groups also note that the powdered form makes palcohol easier to get, use and hide.

Others worry how to police powdered alcohol effectively. Among the unanswered questions is how law enforcement will differentiate between palcohol and other illegal substances. After all, it will be sold as white powder that resembles cocaine or crushed MDMA. This could lead to costly, time-consuming tests for law enforcement to determine violations. There are also concerns mounting about whether powdered alcohol will counter the effectiveness of open containers, which are illegal while driving.

Remember, our experienced personal injury attorneys in Phoenix will fight to get you the compensation you deserve after an auto accident.

If you have been injured by an impaired driver, contact Phillips Law Group at 1-800-706-3000.

Back to Top