Heads Up Driving Week Brings Several Problems to the Forefront
Posted on behalf of Phillips Law Group on Oct 09, 2009 in Auto Accidents
There are more than 6 million auto accidents that occur in the United States every year, and many of them are either directly or indirectly caused by distracted drivers. The issue has seemed to grow with the advent of certain items, including cell phones, hand-held wireless devices and satellite radios. As a result, a push is happening to bring awareness to this serious problem, and it's being led by the American Automobile Association (AAA). The AAA has launched a campaign known as "Heads Up Driving Week," and it's designed to prompt people to practice safe driving habits from October 5th through October 11th in hopes that auto accident lawyers don't have to continually get involved with new cases that arise as a result of this issue.
The AAA has published several different suggestions for drivers to adhere to this week to see if it makes a difference both on an individual and a statistical level. Some of these suggestions include:
- Planning ahead by way of consulting maps and traffic conditions before embarking on your trip
- Stowing electronic devices
- Preparing and properly securing kids and pets for the trip
- Eating before or after your trip
- Making whatever adjustments are necessary to your vehicle before driving, including seat positions and climate control
- Safely storing loose gear and possessions
- Completing your dressing/makeup/shaving before driving
- Focusing on the driving task in front of you
- Engage in some self-evaluation in terms of your driving techniques
- Use technology designed to promote your safety to your advantage
Anyone who follows all of these steps is sure to notice certain bad habits and hopefully realize that they are not only keeping themselves, but others safer as they make their way to and from their destinations. The AAA has stated that it has recorded statistics that of those 6 million crashes in the United States every year, more than 1 million of them are caused by distractions, many of which are listed above. Few people seem to realize that taking your eyes, ears and brain off the road for even one second can make all the difference between a safe trip and catastrophe.
Phoenix Car Accident Attorneys
In the meantime, you can also only control what happens inside your own vehicle, and you will still remain at risk from other drivers who may not be paying attention. If you or someone you love has suffered as a result of this problem, contact the Arizona auto accident attorneys at Phillips Law Group today to schedule a free initial consultation.